1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics principle(s) to explain how to stack spherical items

1. Apr 22, 2015 #1
    I need to think of all the physics principles to explain how one can stack spherical items (ex. baseballs) on top of each other. So far I've thought of one.
    1. Newton's third law
    In this case, the reaction is the normal force in each baseball that is stacked and the action is the force of gravity acting on each ball.

Could Newton's first or second law also explain this? Are there other physics principles that can explain this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

When you stack balls the normal reaction between balls isn't vertical. What might stop the ones on the bottom being pushed or rolling away?

4. Apr 23, 2015 #3
    The fact that every object will remain at rest unless acted upon by an unbalanced force (Newton's first law)? But I don't understand. How is the normal reaction between balls not vertical? Isn't it perpendicular to the horizontal surface?

5. Apr 23, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Normal" in "normal force" means perpendicular to the contact plane. It can be hard to define contact plane in general, but assuming the surfaces are differentiable then it means the plane tangent to the two surfaces at the point of contact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted