Physics problem doubts - Circuits

In summary, @mfb solved the problem by using the point(5, 0.003) from the graph, and found that the effective resistance is 2000Ω. This is impossible if R3 is 5 Ω.
Anne Leite

Homework Statement

[/B]
upload_2016-12-28_21-15-36.png

2. Homework Equations

Req= R1 + R2...Rn for resistors in series.
Req= (1/R1 + 1/R2 +... 1/Rn)^(-1) for resistors in paralel
And Ohm's Rules for circuits

The Attempt at a Solution

I did manage to solve it by using R3= 0 and thus finding R1= 2000 by using Ohm's Rules, then, using R3 going towards infinity, I find R23= R2, and from that I find R2 + R1= 6000. Since R1= 2000, R2= 4000, which is the correct answer. However, when I tried solving by using the point(5, 0.003) from the graph, I have the equation: R1 + (5R2/5+ R2) = 4000. Using R1 = 6000- R2 I get R2^2 -2000R2 - 10000=0. The positive root is 2000. That makes no sense since it inverts R1 and R2. Could someone tell me why it doesn't if I use that point?

Attachments

• 46.png
    46.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is inconsistent. As you figured out correctly, with the given numbers R1 and R2 are much larger than the scale of R3, but then R3 cannot have such a large influence with a few Ohm.

Anne Leite said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
View attachment 110878

2. Homework Equations

Req= R1 + R2...Rn for resistors in series.
Req= (1/R1 + 1/R2 +... 1/Rn)^(-1) for resistors in paralel
And Ohm's Rules for circuits

The Attempt at a Solution

I did manage to solve it by using R3= 0 and thus finding R1= 2000 by using Ohm's Rules, then, using R3 going towards infinity, I find R23= R2, and from that I find R2 + R1= 6000. Since R1= 2000, R2= 4000, which is the correct answer.
That is a correct analysis.

However, There are a number of errors in the following.
However, when I tried solving by using the point(5, 0.003) from the graph, I have the equation: R1 + (5R2/5+ R2) = 4000. Using R1 = 6000- R2 I get R2^2 -2000R2 - 10000=0. The positive root is 2000. That makes no sense since it inverts R1 and R2. Could someone tell me why it doesn't if I use that point?
You should include enough parentheses to correct the equation R1 + (5R2/5+ R2) = 4000.

It should be R1 + (5⋅R2/(5+ R2)) = 4000 , which is the equivalent resistance for the three resistors and which you apparently got from (12 V) / (0.003 A) .

Solving this should not result in a quadratic equation, but it does give a negative value for R2 .

As @mfb pointed out, there must be a problem with the statement of the problem.

It seems the problem is that R3S must be 20kΩ rather than the 20Ω that is stated.

You will also find that the current for R3 = 5kΩ is a bit less than 3mA .

I do believe it is a quadratic, based on this calculation. So, does that mean problem is physically impossible if R3 is 20 ohms? Thanks for the huge help btw
upload_2016-12-29_19-7-20.png

Last edited:
Anne Leite said:
I do believe it is a quadratic, based on this calculation on my DS hehe. So, does that mean problem is physically impossible if R3 is 20 ohms? Thanks for the huge help btw
The values in the graph are physically impossible if r3s = 20 Ω .

Using your approximate values from reading the graph, i = 3mA and R3 = 5 Ω, then the parallel combination of R2 and R3 would have to have an effective resistance of 2000Ω. The effective resistance of two resistors in parallel is less than the smaller of the two resistors involved. 2000 Ω is impossible if R3 is 5 Ω.

5kΩ is more reasonable a value for R3.

You will find that with the other two resistance values you found, that R3 = 4kΩ will give a current of exactly 3mA .

Use the current at R3=0 to find R1, then you don't get a quadratic equation.

1. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another, creating a single path for the current to flow. This means that the current is the same at all points in the circuit, but the voltage is divided among the different components. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, creating multiple paths for the current to flow. This means that the voltage is the same at all points in the circuit, but the current is divided among the different branches.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you simply add up the resistances of all the components in the circuit. This is because in a series circuit, the resistances are connected end to end, so the total resistance is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances.

3. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This means that the voltage drops across all the components in a series circuit must add up to the total voltage supplied by the battery or power source.

4. How do I calculate the total current in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total current in a parallel circuit, you use the equation I(total) = I(1) + I(2) + ... + I(n), where I(1), I(2), etc. are the individual currents in each branch of the circuit. This is because in a parallel circuit, the current is divided among the different branches, but the total current must equal the sum of the individual branch currents.

5. How do I determine the equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit?

The equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit is always less than the smallest individual resistance. To calculate it, you can use the equation 1/R(total) = 1/R(1) + 1/R(2) + ... + 1/R(n), where R(1), R(2), etc. are the individual resistances in each branch. Alternatively, you can use the shortcut formula R(total) = (R(1) * R(2) * ... * R(n)) / (R(1) + R(2) + ... + R(n)), where R(1), R(2), etc. are the individual resistances in each branch.