Physics project help - trigger system

In summary: Can you please provide a link to the project you're working on?In summary, Chris built a rubber band powered helicopter and needs a trigger system to launch it. He can find the necessary parts at a hobby store.
lilsus
Physics project help! - trigger system

I have built a rubber band powered helicopter for a physics project. It looks something like:
http://wings.avkids.com/Book/Wright/Images/WrightHeloVert_lg.jpg

Basically, you wind up the propeller, and the energy stored in the elastic bands, once released, will launch the helicopter straight up.
I'm required to have an attached trigger system to my model, and its purpose is for the helicopter to build up energy without me touching it at all. I have tried clipping paper clips, tying strings, wedging the paperclip etc etc, but nothing seems to work. It would be helpful if the trigger system is strong to withstand the force, but light so that it can go up with the helicopter. Also, the trigger needs to be released quick enough to get it out of the way of the helicopter.

Any suggestions?! Thanks in advance =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Drill a hole in the cork and insert a small tube of plastic with about a 2mm ID, angled up in an appropriate position. After you wind up the propeller, put a square toothpick (light and strong) into the tube, so that part of the toothpick sticks up through the disk of the propeller near its axis of rotation. Then just clip the propeller with dykes when it's time for liftoff.

Berkeman, you are AMAZING! =) I'm not sure if the toothpick will withstand the force, but i'll try it now! I can't thank you enough!

A toothpick through the eyelet where the rubberband hooks on to the propeller will also prevent the rubber from unwinding.

Good one! I missed that.

hi, my name is Chris. I am in the 8th grade. if u don't mind, I am going to use this helicopter design for a project too. can u please tell me where i can get a propeller like that?

thrasher1002 said:
hi, my name is Chris. I am in the 8th grade. if u don't mind, I am going to use this helicopter design for a project too. can u please tell me where i can get a propeller like that?

Welcome to the PF, Chris. This is a great place.

Go to your local "Hobby" store, and they will have inexpensive Rubber Band Airplane kits. Those kits will have much of what you need for your project, including the propeller and some balsa wood pieces that you may be able to re-use. Just look in your Yellow Pages phone book for Hobby Stores near you.

can I know what materials are needed to do the project...I really need it

1. What is a trigger system in physics?

A trigger system in physics is a mechanism that initiates a specific event or action in an experiment or device. It can be a physical mechanism, such as a lever or button, or an electronic system that responds to a certain input or condition.

2. How does a trigger system work?

A trigger system works by detecting a specific input or condition and then initiating a response or action. This can include sending a signal to other components in a system, activating a specific mechanism, or collecting data for analysis.

3. What are the advantages of using a trigger system in physics experiments?

Trigger systems offer several advantages in physics experiments. They can help ensure precise timing and synchronization of events, reduce human error, and allow for the collection of data at specific points during an experiment.

4. What are some common applications of trigger systems in physics?

Trigger systems are commonly used in particle accelerators, where precise timing is crucial for experiments. They are also used in high-speed photography, where a trigger system can capture images at specific points in time. Other applications include robotics, astronomy, and medical imaging.

5. How can I incorporate a trigger system into my physics project?

If you are interested in incorporating a trigger system into your physics project, you will need to first identify the specific input or condition that you want to trigger a response. Then, you can research and select the appropriate type of trigger system, such as a mechanical switch or electronic sensor. It is also important to carefully plan and test your trigger system to ensure it functions properly in your project.