1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics question - Constant acceleration and distance travelled

1. May 23, 2012 #1
    physics question -- Constant acceleration and distance travelled

an object is moving with a constant acceleration, if it travels a distance d during the first 2 seconds and an additional D in the next 2 seconds the ratio of D/d is?

a) 1
    b) 2
    c) 3
    d) 4

i don't understand exactly what the question is asking me to do?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: physics question -- Constant acceleration and distance travelled

Welcome to the PF.

What is the equation that relates the distance travelled to the velocity and acceleration of an object? It is one of the basic kinematic equations for problems involving constant acceleration.

Write out that equation, and the answer should be pretty straightforward...

4. May 23, 2012 #3

vf^2-Vi^2=2adeltax is the equation you're talking about? i tried rearranging that for x and have no clue where to go from there

5. May 23, 2012 #4

vf^2-Vi^2=2adeltax is the equation you're talking about? i tried rearranging that for x and have no clue where to go from there

6. May 23, 2012 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, I'm referring to the equation for x(t) in terms of initial position, initial velocity, acceleration, and time...

7. May 23, 2012 #6

Use area of a triangles and square in a velocity-time diagram.
    You can find v1, 2 and acceleration from this constant acceleration diagram.
    Since it is a ratio you can start for v0=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook