Physics question - Constant acceleration and distance travelled

In summary, the question is asking for the ratio of D/d, where an object with constant acceleration travels a distance d in the first 2 seconds and an additional D in the next 2 seconds. The equation for x(t) in terms of initial position, initial velocity, acceleration, and time can be used to solve this problem, with the answer being straightforward. The ratio can be found by finding v1, 2 and acceleration from the constant acceleration diagram and starting with v0=0.
physics.geeks
physics question -- Constant acceleration and distance travelled

an object is moving with a constant acceleration, if it travels a distance d during the first 2 seconds and an additional D in the next 2 seconds the ratio of D/d is?

a) 1
b) 2
c) 3
d) 4

i don't understand exactly what the question is asking me to do?

Physics news on Phys.org

physics.geeks said:
an object is moving with a constant acceleration, if it travels a distance d during the first 2 seconds and an additional D in the next 2 seconds the ratio of D/d is?

a) 1
b) 2
c) 3
d) 4

i don't understand exactly what the question is asking me to do?

Welcome to the PF.

What is the equation that relates the distance traveled to the velocity and acceleration of an object? It is one of the basic kinematic equations for problems involving constant acceleration.

Write out that equation, and the answer should be pretty straightforward...

vf^2-Vi^2=2adeltax is the equation you're talking about? i tried rearranging that for x and have no clue where to go from there

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What is the equation that relates the distance traveled to the velocity and acceleration of an object? It is one of the basic kinematic equations for problems involving constant acceleration.

Write out that equation, and the answer should be pretty straightforward...

vf^2-Vi^2=2adeltax is the equation you're talking about? i tried rearranging that for x and have no clue where to go from there

physics.geeks said:

No, I'm referring to the equation for x(t) in terms of initial position, initial velocity, acceleration, and time...

Use area of a triangles and square in a velocity-time diagram.
You can find v1, 2 and acceleration from this constant acceleration diagram.
Since it is a ratio you can start for v0=0.

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration refers to a situation where the velocity of an object changes by the same amount in each unit of time. This means that the acceleration remains constant throughout the motion of the object.

2. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken for the change in velocity to occur.

3. Can an object have constant acceleration and still change direction?

Yes, an object can have constant acceleration and still change direction. This is because acceleration is a vector quantity and takes into account both the magnitude and direction of motion.

4. What is the relationship between constant acceleration and distance travelled?

The distance travelled by an object with constant acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the time taken for the motion. This means that the distance travelled increases as the square of the time taken for the motion increases.

5. How does constant acceleration affect the velocity of an object?

Constant acceleration causes the velocity of an object to change at a constant rate. This means that the velocity increases or decreases by the same amount in each unit of time, leading to a linear relationship between velocity and time.