Physics Grad to Maths Post-Grad: Is it Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining a post-grad degree in Mathematics for someone with a background in Physics. It is suggested to look into the Open University for distance learning options and to take extra upper division math courses to prepare for graduate school. The book "A Mathematician's Survival Guide" and "All the Mathematics You Missed" are also recommended for further guidance.
knownot
:smile:
I am a Physics Grad. But now I am interested in getting a post-grad degree in Mathematics.Is it at all possible ? 'cos my job does not let me attend college.I wish there was a correspondence course.Any advice? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
If you live in the UK or in the EU then you should look at the Open Univeristy
for example http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01F04_10_0

Kieron

Last edited by a moderator:
knownot said:
:smile:
I am a Physics Grad. But now I am interested in getting a post-grad degree in Mathematics.Is it at all possible ? 'cos my job does not let me attend college.I wish there was a correspondence course.Any advice? :confused:
Quote from Steven Krantz's A Mathematician's Survival Guide: "It helps to be a math major, but that is not essential. Physics majors, and other majors also go to graduate school in mathematics."

I would also suggest, besides picking up that book, taking extra upper division math courses in order to expand your bredth of knowledge and possibly retool your math skills if need be. I also recently picked up All the Mathematics You Missed [But Need to know for Graduate School]" by Thomas A. Garrity. It seems to be an excellent guideline for such a task.

TY bfd and kieron.

FAQ: Physics Grad to Maths Post-Grad: Is it Possible?

1. Can a physics graduate pursue a post-graduate degree in mathematics?

Yes, it is possible for a physics graduate to pursue a post-graduate degree in mathematics. While it may require some additional coursework to catch up on mathematics-specific topics, a strong foundation in physics can be beneficial for a math post-graduate program.

2. Are there any specific prerequisites for a physics graduate to apply for a math post-graduate program?

The specific prerequisites may vary depending on the institution and program, but in general, a physics graduate may be expected to have a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some programs may also require coursework in abstract algebra and real analysis.

3. Will a physics background be helpful in a math post-graduate program?

Yes, a physics background can be helpful in a math post-graduate program. Many concepts and techniques in physics, such as vector calculus and differential equations, have direct applications in mathematics. Additionally, the problem-solving skills and mathematical reasoning developed in a physics program can be beneficial in a math post-graduate program.

4. Are there any job opportunities for a math post-graduate with a physics background?

Yes, there are job opportunities for a math post-graduate with a physics background. Some potential career paths include data science, financial analysis, and research in fields such as quantum mechanics or mathematical physics. The strong analytical and problem-solving skills gained from both degrees can make a candidate highly desirable in various industries.

5. Is it common for physics graduates to pursue a post-graduate degree in mathematics?

While it may not be as common as pursuing a post-graduate degree in physics, it is not uncommon for physics graduates to pursue a post-graduate degree in mathematics. Many graduate programs value diverse backgrounds and interdisciplinary approaches, so a physics graduate with a strong interest in mathematics can be a valuable addition to a math post-graduate program.