Physics: Vectors & their scalar product

In summary, the value of Pz that will make the scalar product of P and Q equal to 60m^2 is -28. This can be found by using the distributive property of dot product and solving the equation (8*3) + (5*-4)+(2*-Pz) = 60.
sakau2007

Homework Statement

Given the vectors:
P = 8i +5j-Pzk m
and
Q = 3i -4j-2k m
Determine the value of Pz so that the scalar product of the two vectors will be 60m2

Homework Equations

Sure seems like we will need to use the following equation:
P * Q = |P| * |Q| * cos ∅

But I don't recall being able to be taught the angle between two vectors so cos would still be unknown?

The Attempt at a Solution

Also, I assume the scalar product being 60 means that PQ = 60, or that:
Q = √32+-42+22 = √29
So, P would be 60/√29

Then this equation should be solved such as
60/√29 = √82+52+(-Pz)2

11.14172029 = √82+52+(-Pz)2

124.13793 = 89 + (-Pz)2

35.13793 = (-Pz)2

This would give an answer of about +/- 5.92, but in my solution manual I see that the solution is -28. Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your job would be simplified by the "Distributive property of dot product".

Here's a hint:

The scalar product of i with i is equal to ??

The scalar product of i with j is equal to ??

The scalar product of i with k is equal to ??

It was me not understanding what scalar product was in solving this.

When the scalar product of PQ is said to be 60, that means that:
(8*3) + (5*-4)+(2*-Pz) = 60
Solving that simple equation yields the correct answer of -28.

It seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculations. The scalar product of two vectors is defined as the product of the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. So the equation should be:

P * Q = |P| * |Q| * cos ∅

= (8i + 5j - Pzk) * (3i - 4j - 2k)

= 24 - 32 - 16Pz * cos ∅

= -8 - 16Pz * cos ∅

Since we want the scalar product to be 60m^2, we can set this equal to 60 and solve for Pz:

-8 - 16Pz * cos ∅ = 60

- 16Pz * cos ∅ = 68

Pz = -68/(16 * cos ∅)

Now, we also know that the magnitude of P is given by:

|P| = √(8^2 + 5^2 + Pz^2)

And we want this to be equal to √29, as you correctly calculated. So we can set this equal to √29 and solve for Pz:

√(8^2 + 5^2 + Pz^2) = √29

64 + 25 + Pz^2 = 29

Pz^2 = -60

Pz = ±√(-60) = ±7.746

So, the two possible values for Pz are approximately ±7.746. However, we also know that the scalar product must be positive, so we can discard the negative solution and the value of Pz is approximately 7.746. This is close to the solution in the solution manual of -28, so it's possible that there is a typo in the solution manual.

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, time, and mass, while examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement.

3. How is the scalar product of vectors calculated?

The scalar product, also known as the dot product, of two vectors is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. It can also be calculated by multiplying the x-components and y-components of the two vectors and adding them together.

4. What is the significance of the scalar product in physics?

The scalar product is used to calculate the work done by a force, the projection of one vector onto another, and the angle between two vectors. It is also used to determine if two vectors are perpendicular to each other.

5. Can the scalar product of two vectors ever be negative?

Yes, the scalar product of two vectors can be negative if the angle between them is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the cosine of the angle will be negative, resulting in a negative scalar product.