1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is distance traveled proportional to relativistic momentum?

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi I've been modelling a particle travelling in a particle detector that has a momentum vector Px, Py, Pz which we've conveniently been using Pperpendicular (i.e. in the xy plane) and Pz.

I can calculate the distance traveled in the xy plane and I need to calculate the distance traveled in the z direction.

2. Relevant equations

Knowing that

[tex]\vec{p}=\frac{m\vec{v}}{\sqrt{1-\vec{v}^2/c^2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My guess was Momentum is proportional to the distance traveled which I can convince myself of in the case of classical momentum but knowing the momentum of this particle is of the order GeV/c I'm unsure whether I can actually do this? My assumption comes from being able to do this,

[tex]\vec{d}=\frac{m \Delta t}{\sqrt{1-\vec{v}^2/c^2}}\vec{v}[/tex]

where I assumed there was a proportionality constant k such that

[tex]p_\perp = k d_\perp[/tex]
    [tex]p_z = k d_z[/tex]

Therefore

[tex]d_z=\frac{p_z}{p_\perp}d_\perp[/tex]

But I'm unsure if I can just throw in the gamma factor and the time interval into that constant k such that these equations are valid. Would this be correct or would I have to do it another way?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The direction of motion is the direction of the momentum vector. Everything else follows from basic geometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted