1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics working conditions internationally

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    I'm currently in my junior year of physics and am considering whether I want to get a job or go straight to graduate school after college. I was wondering what working conditions are like for scientists in other countries and how easy it would be to work abroad either right out of college or with a phd. I always hear about the 50, 60 80 work weeks that many American scientists put in and was wondering if that just applies to academia in the United States, all scientific jobs (including those in industry and national labs) in the U.S. or if it's just a general fact. I'm currently abroad in England and think that it would be great to work in another country, preferably one where they speak English. I'm not exactly sure which field I would want to go into if I go to graduate school. I'm not that interested in solid state/condensed matter physics. I like nuclear physics although I don't know too much about it. I've heard that you can't go from a undergraduate U.S. B.S. degree to a European Ph.D program because the systems are so different (European high school cover more science and their undergraduate programs cover our grad school classes.) Is Canada like this too?

I also considered teaching high school physics abroad. I like working with that age group and like that people can enjoy science a bit more at that age instead of spending all of their time worrying about tests, homework and grades. However, I never liked how U.S. teachers often spent more time "herding cattle" than they do teaching. I also feel that only students who get into the honors/ap system early (usually because they're parents tell them from the time they're 5 that they need to get into an ivy) get a proper education . Is this the case in Canada/U.K./australia or in other countries where classes are taught in English? Are high schools science teachers looked down upon by academics the same way they are (unfortunately) in the U.S.? I've heard that conceptual physics until quantum mechanics is taught in many countries around that world. It would be cool to teach these ideas to high schoolers, since only mechanics and e and m are taught in the United States.

I'm not particularly married to one place, career or sub-field but traveling has broadened my outlook and it would be interesting to try to work in different countries. I love living in new places for at least few months at a time so that I can meet new people and really absorb the culture of the city/country I'm in. Does anyone have any other advise on questions I didn't directly state regarded work internationally?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted