Physiology: Effect on Membrane Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between potassium ions, equilibrium potential, and membrane potential. It is noted that when the concentration of potassium ions outside the cell increases, both the equilibrium membrane and potassium potential become less in magnitude. This is due to the presence of extra external potassium ions compensating for the negative charge inside the cell. The concentration gradient outward also becomes less, resulting in a decrease in the rate of ions flowing out. However, the exact explanation for this phenomenon is still unclear.
bjgawp
Hello all.

I just had a few conceptual problems if someone wouldn't mind explaining to me.

When looking at a simple cell membrane, potassium ions tend to move out of the cell along their concentration gradient until its electrical gradient is strong enough to counterbalance it, thus producing its equilibrium potential.

Typically, the equilibrium membrane potential is about -60 mV while that of potassium is -90 mV.

Now, if we increased the concentration of potassium outside, this would cause both the equilibrium membrane and potassium potential to become less in magnitude, right? However, I'm not quite sure how to exactly formulate in words what exactly is going on.

Is it because the presence of the extra external potassium ions compensate for the negative charge inside the cell? Also, I would presume that the concentration gradient outward becomes considerably less and thus the rate of ions flowing out would be as well but I'm not entirely sure how that directly affects membrane potential.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
Membrane eq. potential is relatively close to the K+ eq. potential. If the K+ eq. potential decreases in magnitude, then the membrane eq. potential follows it.
However, as we could think, the membrane potential is caused by the charge distribution among the inner and outer sides of the cell, and therefore one shloud expect that the adding of K+ outside implies an increse in magnitude of the membrane potential.
I'm also lost, and even with the equations at hand, I'm unable to explain the phenomenom in words

I can explain the effect of potassium concentration on membrane potential in the following way:

Increasing the concentration of potassium ions outside the cell will indeed cause the equilibrium membrane potential to become less negative in magnitude. This is because the presence of more potassium ions outside the cell will create a higher concentration gradient, driving more potassium ions out of the cell. This will result in a decrease in the overall negative charge inside the cell, thus decreasing the magnitude of the membrane potential.

In addition, the increased concentration of potassium ions outside the cell will also directly affect the rate of ions flowing out. As you mentioned, the concentration gradient outward becomes less, meaning there is less of a difference in concentration between the inside and outside of the cell. This will result in a slower rate of ions flowing out of the cell.

Overall, the increase in potassium concentration outside the cell will lead to a decrease in the magnitude of the membrane potential due to both the compensating effect of the extra external potassium ions and the decrease in concentration gradient driving ions out of the cell. I hope this helps to clarify the concept.

1. What is membrane potential?

Membrane potential is the difference in electrical charge between the inside and outside of a cell membrane. This difference is created by the movement of ions across the membrane, and is essential for various cellular processes such as nerve impulse transmission and muscle contraction.

2. How does membrane potential affect cell function?

Membrane potential plays a crucial role in regulating the movement of substances in and out of cells. It also helps in maintaining the proper balance of ions inside and outside the cell, which is necessary for cell communication and signaling. Changes in membrane potential can also affect the excitability of cells and their ability to generate action potentials.

3. What factors can affect membrane potential?

Several factors can influence membrane potential, including the concentration of ions inside and outside the cell, the permeability of the cell membrane, and the activity of ion channels and pumps. Hormones, neurotransmitters, and drugs can also impact membrane potential by altering ion movement across the membrane.

4. How is membrane potential measured?

Membrane potential is typically measured using a technique called patch-clamp electrophysiology, which involves placing a tiny electrode on the cell membrane to record changes in electrical activity. Other methods such as voltage-sensitive dyes and fluorescent probes can also be used to measure membrane potential.

5. What are some common physiological processes that are affected by changes in membrane potential?

Changes in membrane potential can have a significant impact on various physiological processes, including muscle contraction, nerve impulse transmission, hormone secretion, and sensory perception. They also play a crucial role in regulating heart rate, blood pressure, and other vital functions in the body.