Pictures of your lab (experimentalists & theoreticians)

In summary, the theorist's lab has high power lasers, optical tables, and all the equipment needed to run experiments. They also have pictures of their powerful computers.
I would post a pic of my lab but I am a theoretician semi... so would a pencil and paper do :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
NoobixCube said:
I would post a pic of my lab but I am a theoretician semi... so would a pencil and paper do :yuck:

As long as the pencil is some kind of high power laser and the paper is some human being :biggrin:
Think you can manage that?:tongue2:

Ivan Seeking said:
The Theoretician's lab
Half a brain?

Gokul43201 said:
Half a brain?

Well you know, they're very, very left brained.

Gokul43201 said:
Half a brain?

Your entire lab is a corner?

Ivan Seeking said:
Your entire lab is a corner?
Actually it's just the bottom half of the corner. I share that corner with another grad student - he has the top half, where he runs some kind of anti-gravity experiments.

Gokul43201 said:
Actually it's just the bottom half of the corner. I share that corner with another grad student - he has the top half, where he runs some kind of anti-gravity experiments.

:rofl: Okay, you got me.

Has the anti-gravity caused any problems, or is it well collimated?

Heres my lab as promised!

Attachments

• pencil-and-paper.jpg
    pencil-and-paper.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 468
George Jones said:

"A man ought to read just as inclination leads him; for what he reads as a task will do him little good." Samuel Johnson
Great tag line. I hope Isackson's 'Einstein' on the desk there was inclination. I certainly enjoyed it.

mheslep said:
Great tag line. I hope Isackson's 'Einstein' on the desk there was inclination. I certainly enjoyed it.

My wife and I both read it, and we both enjoyed it.

George Jones said:
I am theoretician; here are my books.

Impressive collection. You are a considerably more advanced theoretician than NoobixCube... NoobixCube are you sure your not a primary school teacher? :tongue2:

n0_3sc said:
Here are some more pics. A friend is a good photographer and has an awesome camera so without revealing too much of our labs (a requirement) guess what these represent:

That's part of a laser system. We have a similar Ti-Sapphire laser from Spectra Physics with 2 YAG lasers going through a TSA.

Zz.

Good job ZapperZ!

n0_3sc said:
Good job ZapperZ!

OK, so now it's my turn. Identify the copper thingy with the tubes sticking out of it. :)

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1645/img5985ac0.jpg [Broken]

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK, so now it's my turn. Identify the copper thingy with the tubes sticking out of it. :)

Zz.
HTS. Entire rig some kind of particle collider.

That looks bloody awesome.
Yeah, my guess too is something to do with a particle accelerator/collider... The copper tubing is being cooled by whatever is flowing through those hoses...? I'm really curious as to what the whole setup is/does.

After googling for "particle colliders" I'm taking a guess the rings are "Damping Rings" or an "RF Cavity"?

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Perpetual motion machine!

n0_3sc said:
After googling for "particle colliders" I'm taking a guess the rings are "Damping Rings" or an "RF Cavity"?
Yes I am thinking you must be right, high power RF device requiring cooling. Scratch HTS.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

My guess is some particle measurments, using nitrogen cooling.:uhh:
Second thing might be research in the MHD generator area, but I don't see power connections as large as the machine suggest.

cool thread, makes me wish my lab wasnt horrible

RonL said:
My guess is some particle measurments, using nitrogen cooling.:uhh:
I can't imagine any particle experiments/measurements utilising large solid copper rings that are held at a temperature...

Ok ZapperZ who was the closest?

Cyrus said:
Perpetual motion machine!

No way, dude. That's a time machine!

Math Is Hard said:
No way, dude. That's a time machine!

That doesn't look like a phone booth to me...whoaaa

Cyrus said:
That doesn't look like a phone booth to me...whoaaa
HAHA Cyrus' Lab:
http://www.thackershirtcompany.com/images/PhoneBooth.jpg [Broken]

The picture that I posted is a section of our linear accelerator. It is typically called a "linac tank". It is an accelerating structure consisting of a series of iris-loaded copper cavities that are powered by a 1.3 GHz rf in a TM01 mode. Electron bunches gain an average of 10 MeV of energy after passing through this linac tank.

The hoses are water lines connected to a closed-loop chiller. During operation, the linac must be kept at the optimum, constant temperature. A single degree variation will cause the linac to detune it's resonance frequency and will not be able to efficiently sustain the 1.3 GHz rf.

Zz.

<H2>1. What equipment do you use in your lab?</H2><p>In my lab, we use a variety of equipment depending on the experiment. Some common equipment includes microscopes, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, and various types of glassware.</p><H2>2. What type of research do you conduct in your lab?</H2><p>As a scientist, my research focuses on understanding various phenomena in the natural world. This can range from studying the properties of different materials to investigating biological processes.</p><H2>3. How do you ensure the safety of your lab?</H2><p>Safety is a top priority in our lab. We have strict protocols in place for handling hazardous materials and all researchers are trained on proper safety procedures. Additionally, we regularly conduct safety inspections and maintain proper safety equipment.</p><H2>4. What is the role of experimentalists and theoreticians in your lab?</H2><p>Experimentalists are responsible for conducting experiments and collecting data, while theoreticians use mathematical and computational models to analyze and interpret the data. Both roles are crucial in our lab as they work together to advance our understanding of various phenomena.</p><H2>5. Can you show us an example of a recent experiment or project conducted in your lab?</H2><p>Unfortunately, due to confidentiality agreements and ongoing research, I am unable to share specific details or images of ongoing projects. However, I can say that our lab is currently working on a project investigating the effects of different environmental factors on plant growth and development.</p>

1. What equipment do you use in your lab?

In my lab, we use a variety of equipment depending on the experiment. Some common equipment includes microscopes, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, and various types of glassware.

2. What type of research do you conduct in your lab?

As a scientist, my research focuses on understanding various phenomena in the natural world. This can range from studying the properties of different materials to investigating biological processes.

3. How do you ensure the safety of your lab?

Safety is a top priority in our lab. We have strict protocols in place for handling hazardous materials and all researchers are trained on proper safety procedures. Additionally, we regularly conduct safety inspections and maintain proper safety equipment.

4. What is the role of experimentalists and theoreticians in your lab?

Experimentalists are responsible for conducting experiments and collecting data, while theoreticians use mathematical and computational models to analyze and interpret the data. Both roles are crucial in our lab as they work together to advance our understanding of various phenomena.

5. Can you show us an example of a recent experiment or project conducted in your lab?

Unfortunately, due to confidentiality agreements and ongoing research, I am unable to share specific details or images of ongoing projects. However, I can say that our lab is currently working on a project investigating the effects of different environmental factors on plant growth and development.