Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pictures of your lab (experimentalists & theoreticians!)

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1
    Attach the best pictures of the lab you work in here!
    Theoreticians can attach pictures of their powerful pc's!!

My Laser Lab:
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2
    Q:Do you expect me to pay?
    A:Noooooooo mr. bond........I EX-pect you to DIEEEE!

4. Jun 18, 2008 #3
    n0 3c, you should describe what's going on in your lab. What experiment(s) are you running?

5. Jun 18, 2008 #4
    Hi-tech Christmas Lights?

6. Jun 18, 2008 #5
    Seeing as no-one wants to play, I'll just go ahead and answer ks_physicist's question.
    It is a nonlinear optics lab. Argon (blue) laser is converted to the green beam which is used to pump the dye laser creating the red beam. Finally it goes into a photonic crystal fiber to observe raman and parametric amplification.

Boy this thread isn't gonna last long is it...

7. Jun 18, 2008 #6
    Are you in Albuquerque? I think Sandia (or maybe Los Alamos) has quite the laser lab, if I remember right.

8. Jun 18, 2008 #7
    Many universities have laser labs - I'm in New Zealand.

9. Jun 18, 2008 #8

~christina~

Gold Member

:rofl::rofl: I love that line from the 007 moves.

10. Jun 18, 2008 #9

mheslep

Gold Member

s/pay/talk/

11. Jun 19, 2008 #10
    Dr. Evil has a gigantic laser beam.

12. Jun 19, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My lab doesn't have lasers. :frown:

13. Jun 19, 2008 #12
    I don't even have a lab!

14. Jun 19, 2008 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

pretty lights... :!!) can't.. stop.. looking.....

15. Jun 19, 2008 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can come to my lab. You'll love it. We have puzzles and cheese and shock-collars. :approve:

16. Jun 19, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

I have a virtual lab. Since I don't have access to huge telescopes, spectoscopes, etc, I have to steal data and images from NASA, CalTech, HyperLeda, SDSS, etc, etc. I hope they don't catch me. :uhh:

17. Jun 19, 2008 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Either you photoshopped in the beams or you need to clean up the dust in your lab if they are that obvious.
    Looks like you attempt to breed allen keys isn't working - they are just ignoring each other. I was working on a theory that optical tables are a sort of black hole for M6 allen keys.

18. Jun 19, 2008 #17
    Is that a Ribena bottle in the top left corner?

I was going to scold you for having food in the lab, but then I remembered that Ribena doesn't actually contain anything from a biological source.

19. Jun 19, 2008 #18
    You are the first person that has responded saying its fake out of the many many people I've shown them too. I admire your honesty.
    To answer your question - there is no photoshop whatsoever. The beams are >1.5W CW, and if you've used high power lasers you would no that even in a 99% dust free environment the beam is still visible because the scattering power is soo strong. I admit that this lab is not even 60% dust free.
    If I still don't convince you, would you like me too take a picture of that table with the lights on?
    For the rest of the pictures, I have posted them on gpforums:
    http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?postid=5222422#post5222422

I would've thought most people on PF work as academics hence photos of your labs etc.

20. Jun 19, 2008 #19
    HAHAHA Yes it is! We keep empty bottles lying around to put pieces of cut fiber's. Bare fibers are very sharp and extremely painful when pierced through the skin.

21. Jun 19, 2008 #20

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Scary - I prefer things under 5mW.
    It's always disapointing to photographers, how ever much LN2 boil off or canned air we spray around they can't see the laser beam like in the Bond movie.

I assume all the beam covers and edge of table guards were removed for this shot ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?