Show pictures of your lab or workspace

  • Thread starter Thread starter n0_3sc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lab Pictures
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
81 replies · 16K views
Physics news on Phys.org
n0_3sc said:
After googling for "particle colliders" I'm taking a guess the rings are "Damping Rings" or an "RF Cavity"?
Yes I am thinking you must be right, high power RF device requiring cooling. Scratch HTS.
 
ZapperZ said:
OK, so now it's my turn. Identify the copper thingy with the tubes sticking out of it. :)

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1645/img5985ac0.jpg

Zz.

My guess is some particle measurments, using nitrogen cooling.:rolleyes:
Second thing might be research in the MHD generator area, but I don't see power connections as large as the machine suggest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
RonL said:
My guess is some particle measurments, using nitrogen cooling.:rolleyes:
I can't imagine any particle experiments/measurements utilising large solid copper rings that are held at a temperature...

Ok ZapperZ who was the closest?
 
Cyrus said:
Perpetual motion machine!

No way, dude. That's a time machine!
 
Math Is Hard said:
No way, dude. That's a time machine!

That doesn't look like a phone booth to me...whoaaa
 
Cyrus said:
That doesn't look like a phone booth to me...whoaaa
HAHA Cyrus' Lab:
http://www.thackershirtcompany.com/images/PhoneBooth.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The picture that I posted is a section of our linear accelerator. It is typically called a "linac tank". It is an accelerating structure consisting of a series of iris-loaded copper cavities that are powered by a 1.3 GHz rf in a TM01 mode. Electron bunches gain an average of 10 MeV of energy after passing through this linac tank.

The hoses are water lines connected to a closed-loop chiller. During operation, the linac must be kept at the optimum, constant temperature. A single degree variation will cause the linac to detune it's resonance frequency and will not be able to efficiently sustain the 1.3 GHz rf.

Zz.
 
ZapperZ said:
OK, so now it's my turn. Identify the copper thingy with the tubes sticking out of it. :)

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1645/img5985ac0.jpg

Zz.

There looks to be a massive flex coupeling, does something inside, spin?

And for water cooling, I can guess green in, and red out, what requires such massive flanges and bolt patterns??

And not related, I switched to Mozilla Firefox, and the spell check function went away, how can I get back?

Ron
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
It is an accelerating structure consisting of a series of iris-loaded copper cavities that are powered by a 1.3 GHz rf in a TM01 mode.

HA! RF Cavity by the sounds of it! I win! I hope you all mind the bragging because there's a lot more of it!
 
RonL said:
And not related, I switched to Mozilla Firefox, and the spell check function went away, how can I get back?
Ron

"Tools" > "Options" > "Advanced" Tab at the top right > "General" Tab below > Under "Browsing" click the check box titled "Check my spelling as I type".
Congratulations on the firefox change over...was a wise decision :)
 
n0_3sc said:
"Tools" > "Options" > "Advanced" Tab at the top right > "General" Tab below > Under "Browsing" click the check box titled "Check my spelling as I type".
Congratulations on the firefox change over...was a wise decision :)

Thanks:smile:
 
this is me

dracula.jpg


and this is my LABORATORY! muohaha.

ksc4b.jpg


don't disturb. no eating or garlic. no silver jewelry
 
Haha, you reminded me of a joke about physics...

So world ended and all physicists went to heaven (obviously, it could be otherway?..didnt think so :) )
so they didnt know what to do...so decided to play hide and seek.

So Einstein started counting and Newton instead of running to hide was just standing there behind him.
Einstein stops counting "Newton, your out!"...
Newton: "But I am not Newton, I am Newton standing in 1 square meter, so I am Newton/meter^2;
Thus I am Pascal! "

Lol ! (well you sort of joke for physicists xD, not to be elitist ...MUHAHHAH :) )
 
I was looking for some specimens in the anatomy lab the other day, and realized we sure do have a lot of skeletons in the closet. (Sorry, the above two posts inspired this groaner too.)

All the interesting places I work, I can't photograph to post here.
 
Your avatar >>> all statistically possible pics of your work places ... :)
 
George Jones said:
I am theoretician; here are my books.
I recognize Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu and Laloë, QM I & II. On the right shelf, top far left is an old McGraw-Hill book with tan cover and green label. I have several of those in the International Series in Pure and Applied Physics that were new in the 1970's.
 
http://imgwe.com/accessbee/27/1.png Today[/URL] we use it as laser lights that you can buy from the 99 cent store.
 
Last edited by a moderator: