1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piezoelecticity - Amount of electricity produced

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I have an idea to generate electricity using piezoelectric material. I entered this in a contest and my idea got selected. Now I have to prepare a detailed presentation of the idea for which I need to figure out approximately/roughly how much electricity will be produced. I am a layman who does not have much formal education. Can someone please guide me as to how do I got about calculating the amount of electricity produced if I know the extent of surface area which will be stressed. Is there any formula that I can use. Any pointers will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2
    If by "generating electricity" you mean a current flowing steadily through a circuit you may be disappointed. I hope you don't mean this.

You can easily calculate the voltage across the piezoelectric material as a function of the pressure applied. You should look up the material parameters for the specific piezoelectric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook