Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piezoelecticity - Amount of electricity produced

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I have an idea to generate electricity using piezoelectric material. I entered this in a contest and my idea got selected. Now I have to prepare a detailed presentation of the idea for which I need to figure out approximately/roughly how much electricity will be produced. I am a layman who does not have much formal education. Can someone please guide me as to how do I got about calculating the amount of electricity produced if I know the extent of surface area which will be stressed. Is there any formula that I can use. Any pointers will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2
    If by "generating electricity" you mean a current flowing steadily through a circuit you may be disappointed. I hope you don't mean this.

You can easily calculate the voltage across the piezoelectric material as a function of the pressure applied. You should look up the material parameters for the specific piezoelectric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook