How can i send a low amount of electricity through glass?

In summary: ...build a magnetic stirrer......for a low power application......using a flexible membrane impeller......to power an appliance.
ianizaguirre
there is A , B and C

A- is a small powered boat blade
B-is a piece of 1 to 1/2 inch glass
C- is the power (i don't know how it will power it yet)

------------------------
So how is it possible to have a motor send electricity though the glass to power the small blade?

what would i need in C (like what parts) to get this to work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Unfortunately, your ABCs are a little ill-defined (that's okay: it's part of the design process!)

Are we talking a little propeller in a small fish tank, or attempted propulsion of Wonder Woman's boat / submarine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_plane

Is there any specific reason that traditional propulsion methods can't work for this application, or is this an exploratory sort of design? If the latter, you'll have to better narrow down the criteria and constraints and flesh out your points (also part of the design process).

A rotating magnet on one side could easily make another magnet follow its rotation - on the other side of a few mm of glass. Play with two magnets above and below a glass topped table to get the idea.
This only applies to low powers, of course, but, for a 'toy' / model, fine.

Light could also be used as your power source.

A sketch would probably help. The details really do count with something like this (is't called Engineering lol)
It all depends on the amount of power you want to transfer and the actual separation. It also depends on how bulky you can allow this to be.
You could make a transformer with a 'U' of transformer-type laminations on one side with the primary windings on and a similar 'U'on the other side with the secondary laminations. The problem would be that the primary inductance would be low and would take a lot of current. But you could get over this with resistance wire - assuming you didn't need to transfer much power. The problem is that 12mm is a huge gap for a transformer; that's why I reckon a magnetic / mechanical link could be your best bet, if all you need is to turn something.

i will see if i can do a sketch later on today but i would want the external piece to be as small as possible- using less than 8 watts of electricity, and at the end cost less than $25 in parts.

the shape of the external piece does not really matter as long as it is not really really bulky about the size of a little less than 1/2 a small water bottel on part C would be ideal

Search for "magnetic stirrer" parts on eBay.

ianizaguirre said:
i will see if i can do a sketch later on today but i would want the external piece to be as small as possible- using less than 8 watts of electricity, and at the end cost less than $25 in parts.

Is this for fresh water?

Also, might this be a proprietary patentable invention? One where you can't just supply every detail?

Aircraft warning lights on AM broadcast towers are powered across a yards-wide gap using a pair of hoop-shaped coils. If coil diameter is much wider than the glass thickness, then you've made an air-core transformer. Much field leakage though.

That's pretty much a magnetic stirrer, with a fancy flea (the stir bar) and a little housing. Assuming there's a gap between the magnet and the propeller, you can probably move some air with it.

EDIT: Courtesy of Instructables.com: how to build your own magnetic stirrer:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Magnetic-Stirrer/

Still only half the problem since you need to build a customized stir bar.

MATLABdude said:
That's pretty much a magnetic stirrer, with a fancy flea (the stir bar) and a little housing. Assuming there's a gap between the magnet and the propeller, you can probably move some air with it.

EDIT: Courtesy of Instructables.com: how to build your own magnetic stirrer:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Magnetic-Stirrer/

Still only half the problem since you need to build a customized stir bar.

why do i have to build a custom stir bar? can't i just order one off the 50 shape stirbars from a website and attach the stirbar with hot glue to the blades of a computer fan (side A)? and then have a small electric motor in side C with a magnet attached to the tip of that motor? will this work?

Last edited:
but here is a link to a pump i found that functions on the same idea that i want to do

This only applies to low powers, of course,

My central heating pump works on this principle and develops significant power. Magnetically driven impellers across a flexible membrane have been used in plumbing for decades.

Studiot said:
My central heating pump works on this principle and develops significant power. Magnetically driven impellers across a flexible membrane have been used in plumbing for decades.

thats great news , i need someone who can really guide me about doing this project. i will be going the magnetic route with the stirer idea.

1. How does electricity pass through glass?

Electricity can pass through glass through a process called conduction. This means that the electrons in the glass are able to move and carry the electric current from one end to the other.

2. What kind of glass is best for conducting electricity?

Glass that contains metal oxides, such as borosilicate glass or lead glass, are often used for conducting electricity. These types of glass have a higher concentration of free electrons, making it easier for electricity to pass through.

3. How can I send a low amount of electricity through glass without breaking it?

To send a low amount of electricity through glass without breaking it, you can use a low voltage power source and limit the amount of current flowing through the glass. This will ensure that the glass does not overheat and break.

4. Is it safe to send electricity through glass?

As long as the proper precautions are taken, sending electricity through glass can be safe. It is important to use a low voltage power source and limit the current to prevent overheating and potential breakage of the glass.

5. What are some practical applications of sending low electricity through glass?

Sending low electricity through glass can be useful in various applications, such as in electronic devices like touch screens or LCD displays. It can also be used in scientific experiments and in the creation of specialized glass materials with unique electrical properties.