How to calculate the amount of electricity being produced.

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JDLTX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electricity produced
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
JDLTX
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Back in my physics class in high school, we had a homework problem that stated a car had a circular hood emblem (pretty much a Mercedes-Benz hood star) and that when the car was in motion it would produce electricity due to magnetic waves going through it while it was in motion.

I now own a Mercedes and would like to try and actually figure out how much electricity is produced when I drive at a certain velocity, I'm in no way expecting to find out it produces as much as a nuclear power plant lol but I'm just curious and think it would be pretty fun to figure out, the only problem is I don't remember the exact steps to go about figuring this out. Can anyone help? I know I need to measure the circumference, but how do I substitute for the three inner "spokes"? Also what steps would follow this?

The object in question:
286456366_d5c7bc4c59.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You would treat each triangular hole as a separate loop (assuming the points of the star were connected electrically to the rim)

Then it's just a question of the area of each of these loops, with one turn each, and the speed of the car. The Earth's magnetic field is around 50microT for mid latitudes
 
NobodySpecial said:
You would treat each triangular hole as a separate loop (assuming the points of the star were connected electrically to the rim)

Then it's just a question of the area of each of these loops, with one turn each, and the speed of the car. The Earth's magnetic field is around 50microT for mid latitudes

Moving a loop of wire through a magnetic field with constant velocity. You only produce electricity if the magnetix flux through the loop changes, so you'd have to turn the car.