Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pimples! Can anyone recommend any remedies?

1. Jan 17, 2008 #1

ranger

Gold Member

I've never had acne. Just here and there I get a few pimples. But lately (last 4 months) I noticed that the few pimples I have on my face are leaving dark spots in their aftermath. I have no idea why this is happening now, as it was never a problem for me. The earliest spot is still there, though is very light. For some reason I was under the impression that they would fade away within 2 months. I only have a few spots, but they're freaking annoying!

Can anyone recommend any remedies? I rather not try an shower my skin with all sorts of chemicals, though. Also why are these spots an issue now?

They aren't age spots right? I'm only 20 :bugeye:

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2
    Sit in the sun to dry the oil on your face.

4. Jan 17, 2008 #3
    Sounds like you may have post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Most skin trauma will have some discoloration associated with it. It can take up to 6 months for the collagen within the dermis to be fully healed. The good news is, that its not a scar.
    Treating a pimple with a neomycin based product, may help prevent the redness, also dont pick at pimples.

5. Jan 17, 2008 #4
    Retin-a micro. It gets rid of skin discolorations. I believe it requires a prescription though. If you cant get that then just go to your drug store and get something that says it reduces redness.

6. Jan 18, 2008 #5
    Everyone reacts differently to various products. Try some over the counter products first, if that doesn't work, you need to see a dermatologist and have something prescribed.

7. Jan 18, 2008 #6
    What? um, no the sun would make you produce more oils which may cause more zits and wrinkles. Try Aveeno oatmeal lotions(they have a even complexion moisturizer works well) Also when the pimple starts to heal put neosporin on it daily- this will help.

8. Jan 18, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You're so bad!

I started getting little brown spots all over my right hand once. I went to the doctor and he asked me if I drank gin and tonics. I said yes and he explained that the lime juice that I was squeezing into my drink contains oils that are photosensitive and when you sqeeze the lime, you get spatters of the juice on your hand, then you sit in the sun and it causes dark spots.

When ever you get a cut, and that would probably include pimples that are scratched, exposure to sun will cause darkening because the healing tissue is more susceptible.

9. Jan 18, 2008 #8

Art

Daub pimples with TCP. It dries them out and also prevents infection. Of course prevention is better than cure so watch what you eat.

10. Jan 18, 2008 #9

Evo

I think TCP is a UK thing, based on a google search, I've never heard of it.

11. Jan 18, 2008 #10

ranger

Gold Member

Are aloe vera based creams also a good option?

So to prevent these skin discolorations in the future, I should not pick at them, right? But how can get rid of the stuff thats inside? If I leave it there and just apply something like clearasil, nothing really happens.

12. Jan 18, 2008 #11
    Accutane (or however its spelled)

13. Jan 19, 2008 #12
    That did sort of freak me out for a second, glad you were able to make some sense of it. When I ask someone for a TCP, they hand me a Tissue Culture Plate. I could'nt fathom why anyone would want to put one on there face:yuck:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  14. Jan 19, 2008 #13

Evo

In my business it means Transmisson Control Protocol!

15. Jan 19, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Jan 20, 2008 #15

Astronuc

Apparently, TCP actually stands for Trichlorophenylmethyliodosalicyl, but is now the brand name for a variety of antiseptics (one of which contains trichlorophenol) and other topical medications.

some website of dubious nature.

A more reliable source - http://www.chemguide.co.uk/qandc/tcp.html
    TCP is manufactured in the UK by Chefaro UK Ltd (a subsidiary of Omega Pharma).

http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/DisplayDoc.asp?DocumentID=16048

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  17. Jan 20, 2008 #16
    The best thing to do would be just to leave it alone and let your body run it's natural healing process-They can be quite painful when full of puss. I personally can not stand that feeling and really have to fight the urge to "pop" it (attractive, I know). Applying an acne type product that dries it out is the better route, and then applying neosporin or something like that(vitamin E is good too). Washing your face before bed and in the morning making sure to pat instead of rub when drying and having clean pillow cases is good prevention. Aloe Vera is great for sunburns so I can't see how it would be bad for the face, but I am unsure it would help.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  18. Jan 20, 2008 #17
    Apply toothpaste to pimple overnight, dries it up like a beast, and woosh it's gone.

19. Jan 20, 2008 #18

Art

TCP is so ubiquitous in the UK I (wrongly) assumed it was sold everywhere. It's one of those cheap magical cures for everything from sore throats to cuts to pimples and boils. I doubt there is a household in England that doesn't have a bottle of TCP in their medicine chest. Is there a US equivalent?

20. Jan 20, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think so. I'm getting hung up on it containing phenol. Granted, it's only a tiny fraction of a percent of the ingredients, but I'm so used to handling phenol with great care in the lab that the mere thought of dabbing it on one's skin sounds very frightening to me.

On another point, reading this thread leaves me wondering: is there any actual scientific evidence against popping pimples vs leaving them be, or is it just an "old wives tale" type advice we all have been told and readily pass on? My understanding is that not popping the pimples is intended to avoid spreading the bacteria contained within them to surrounding skin, thus preventing spread of the acne to new locations. But, I'm not sure it would have anything to do with preventing scarring; afterall, the pimple itself would be fairly damaging since it already contains all the pus of infection.

21. Jan 20, 2008 #20

Art

You also dilute it and gargle with it for sore throats :eek:

I always heard you shouldn't pop pimples as you can add bacteria from your hands and so increase the risk of infection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?