Pion in rest frame and lab frame

In summary: SI units, that is). So you can cancel out the c^2 on top and bottom, and your answer will be 0.5^2 = 0.25In summary, the pion has a mean lifetime of 25ns in its own rest frame, but when traveling at a speed of 0.60c, its mean lifetime is 31ns in the lab frame. The pion would have traveled a distance of 5.6m as measured by lab observers during this time. The symbol c represents the speed
monke

Homework Statement

An unstable particle called the pion has a mean lifetime of 25ns in its own rest frame. A beam of of pions travels through the lab with a speed of 0.60c.
a) what is the mean lifetime of the pions as measured in the lab frame?
b) how far does a pion travel ( as measured by lab observers) during this time?

Homework Equations

I was able to find part a but not sure about part b. the answer our professor porvided was 5.6m
what exactly is c? is it unit less?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a using

t= 1/γ x t inital

for finding how far the pion traveled i was using

d=v t with 0.60 for v and 31ns for t.

however the units are not correct and my answer is not very clse to the given answer.

Thanks in advance :)

this gave me an answer of 31 ns.

Physics news on Phys.org
monke said:

I'm guessing you meant to type 25ns here?

monke said:
I found a using

t= 1/γ x t inital
I'm not sure what you mean by t initial. If it means time according to the rest frame, then the equation is wrong, because it should multiply with gamma, not one over gamma. But you do have the right answer of 31ns.

monke said:

however the units are not correct and my answer is not very clse to the given answer.
the question tells you that the pions are traveling at 0.6c, and since you have used SI units in the rest of the equation, c is not just equal to 1. (In relativity questions, c is very often used to mean the speed of light, in case you had any doubts about what it was meant to represent).

thank you :)

one more question when working problems like this and others with realtive velocity c will always be the speed of light value ? if so then how can something such as V=0.50c be able to be sub in for v^2/c^2

the symbol c is almost always used to mean the speed of light in vacuum (unless they specify otherwise), which is always 3*10^8 m/s (or roughly that, anyway). When you have v=0.5c and want to find v^2/c^2, just sub it in:
[tex]\frac{(0.5c)^2}{c^2}[/tex]
And you can simplify this

1. What is the concept of a pion in rest frame and lab frame?

A pion is a subatomic particle that exists in two different frames of reference: the rest frame and the lab frame. In the rest frame, the pion is stationary and has no kinetic energy. In the lab frame, the pion is moving and has both kinetic and potential energy.

2. How does the mass of a pion change between the rest frame and the lab frame?

The mass of a pion is a fundamental property and does not change between frames. However, its energy and momentum may appear different in the two frames due to the effects of relativity.

3. How does time dilation affect a pion in the lab frame?

In the lab frame, the pion experiences time dilation, meaning that time appears to pass more slowly for the pion compared to an observer in the rest frame. This is due to the pion's high velocity, which causes time to dilate according to Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. Can a pion exist simultaneously in both the rest frame and lab frame?

Yes, a pion can exist simultaneously in both frames. This is because the concept of frames of reference is relative and depends on the observer's perspective. From the pion's perspective, it is stationary in its own rest frame while also moving in the lab frame.

5. How does the concept of Lorentz contraction apply to a pion in the lab frame?

In the lab frame, the pion experiences Lorentz contraction, meaning that its length appears shorter in the direction of motion compared to its length in the rest frame. This is due to the effects of relativity and can be observed in experiments such as particle accelerators.