Pirate copy vs. genuine, unadulterated copy

rcgldr
Homework Helper
I just tested. I cannot change the background.
You can backup and copy / rename image files in the Windows\Web\... directories. I don't know if regedit could be used to change screen saver type stuff.

russ_watters
Mentor
Wish I knew it was still free before I bought a copy a month ago... :confused:
I cannot understand how it would be for free.
Well if you aren't paying to use it, then you aren't a customer. So if you aren't a customer, what are you? A: You're the product. Just like Facebook, Microsoft makes money by selling (renting?) you.

Wish I knew it was still free before I bought a copy a month ago... :confused:

Well if you aren't paying to use it, then you aren't a customer. So if you aren't a customer, what are you? A: You're the product. Just like Facebook, Microsoft makes money by selling (renting?) you.
Lots of people are customers who don't realize they are customers.

When you buy a new PC, you've bought Windows. You can even return it to Microsoft if you don't use it. Lots of times people want the hardware, but want to install RH or something else on it. If you do that, call Microsoft and get your money back for the Windows license that you aren't using.

Likes russ_watters and jedishrfu
I never knew you could do that. I had gotten an ASUS small laptop and promptly replaced windows with Ubuntu Linux and didn't realize you could get a refund from MS.

fluidistic
Gold Member
It's definitely not free, the previous poster was mistaken. But please don't tell me you paid over $100 for your license? You can easily get it for less than $40. https://softwarelicense4u.com/operatingsystems/windows-10-professional-32-64bit-209
Please say in which way I am mistaken. I didn't pay for Windows and the only limitation I have encountered thus far is the inability to tweak the Settings.
I did not bought Windows when I bought my pc. I built it piece by piece (and even made a thread here on PF about it), it came without any OS preinstalled. I installed Linux on it only. Thereafter the free version of Windows 10, for free, in a VM. But I could have installed it on the hard disk for free.