Pitch and amplitude of sound wave Vs its volume

Hi. If I know the pitch and amplitude of a sound wave, will I be able to calculate its volume.

I can understand volume of devices vary betwerb brands and other categories. For the sake of discussion, lets assume volume to be a consistent unit or if db is the right unit, lets take that.

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I find two definitions for sound volume.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplitude said:
The amplitude of a periodic variable is a measure of its change over a single period (such as time or spatial period). There are various definitions of amplitude (see below), which are all functions of the magnitude of the difference between the variable's extreme values. In older texts the phase is sometimes called the amplitude.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness said:
In acoustics, loudness is the subjective perception of sound pressure. More formally, it is defined as, "That attribute of auditory sensation in terms of which sounds can be ordered on a scale extending from quiet to loud."

The relation of physical attributes of sound to perceived loudness consists of physical, physiological and psychological components. The study of apparent loudness is included in the topic of psychoacoustics and employs methods of psychophysics.
In sound systems it sounds like the subjective definition applies. If so, then amplitude is not enough.
slask.jpg

Attachments

Likes k.udhay
If I keep everything else constant - Ambient noise value, temperature or anything else that could change behavior of sound - But the amplitude of wave, will it change the loudness of what I was hearing so far?