Amplitude of sound wave in by 50%

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
hemetite
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Any kind soul to help me with this questions...i am stuck

qn. The amplitude of vibration of a certain sound wave is increase by 50%. What is the corresponding increase in the decibel level of the sound?

My attempt..

beta= 10 log ( I/Io)

lets just take I = 2.0 x 10^-7
let just take Io= 1.00 x 10^-12

then 10 log( 2.0 x 10^-7/1.00 x 10^-12) = 10 log (2.0 x 10^5) = 53db

if we increse I by 50 % = (2.0 x 10^-7) x 1.5
= 3.0 x 10^-7

then
10 log( 3.0 x 10^-7/1.00 x 10^-12) = 10 log (3.0 x 10^5) = 54.8 db

so the change of decibel = 54.8db - 53db = 1.8db

correct attemp this question this way??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hemetite said:
Any kind soul to help me with this questions...i am stuck

qn. The amplitude of vibration of a certain sound wave is increase by 50%. What is the corresponding increase in the decibel level of the sound?

My attempt..

beta= 10 log ( I/Io)

lets just take I = 2.0 x 10^-7
let just take Io= 1.00 x 10^-12

then 10 log( 2.0 x 10^-7/1.00 x 10^-12) = 10 log (2.0 x 10^5) = 53db

if we increse I by 50 % = (2.0 x 10^-7) x 1.5
= 3.0 x 10^-7

then
10 log( 3.0 x 10^-7/1.00 x 10^-12) = 10 log (3.0 x 10^5) = 54.8 db

so the change of decibel = 54.8db - 53db = 1.8db

correct attemp this question this way??

Since the increase is by a factor of 50% you can also express the increase
as simply 10log10(1.5) = 10*(0.176) = 1.76 db