Places electric potential is zero when 2 charges

In summary, the electric potential is zero at the red cross in region III due to the cancelation of the potentials from the charges in that region. Additionally, the electric potential is zero at the green dot in region II due to the same cancelation of potentials.
JustStudying

Homework Statement

elecquestion.jpg

i'm having a bit of trouble understanding/visualising why the electric potential is zero in the red cross within region III and the green dot within region II

from my current understanding, the green dot is where the potentials from both charges are equal and opposite therefore cancel out (am I right?), but I have no idea why the electric potential is zero at the red cross

can anyone help me out?

Homework Equations

V = kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the voltages separately for each of the two charges, for each of the positions along the line. Note that the voltages decrease as the point is further away.

Then see which ones add up to zero at the same point.

Note that if the two charges were equal, then the zero point would be midway between them.

The total Electric potential due to these two charges at the red cross must be summed as scalars. So write down the potentials as a sum to find the total potentials that's it.

I was hoping if anyone could explain why there are TWO points where the potential is zero i.e I simply don't get why the potential is zero at the red cross - the 3q charge is not even in region III so how could it cause a zero potential there?, the actual number crunching isn't too difficult.

Generate a plot. Vary the positions and charges.

Remember that the potential goes off in both directions, as far as you can go.

JustStudying said:
I was hoping if anyone could explain why there are TWO points where the potential is zero i.e I simply don't get why the potential is zero at the red cross - the 3q charge is not even in region III so how could it cause a zero potential there?, the actual number crunching isn't too difficult.
The regions are arbitrary definitions on your line. Both charges influence the potential everywhere.

If you extend the analysis to two dimensions, you get a full circle of points with zero potential.

Please do not open multiple threads for the same topic, I deleted the other one.

Likes 1 person

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electrical potential energy that a charged particle has at a specific point in space. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electrical potential energy of a charge by the amount of charge. The formula for electric potential is V = U/Q, where V is electric potential, U is electrical potential energy, and Q is charge.

3. What does it mean for electric potential to be zero?

When electric potential is zero, it means that there is no difference in electrical potential energy between two points in space. This can occur when there are equal and opposite charges canceling each other out, or when there is no charge present.

4. How does electric potential affect the motion of charged particles?

Charged particles will naturally move from areas of high electric potential to areas of low electric potential. This can cause them to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the electric field. In a region where electric potential is zero, charged particles will not experience any force and will remain at rest.

5. Are there any real-life examples of places where electric potential is zero?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of places where electric potential is zero. One example is in a neutral conductor, where the electric potential is the same throughout the material. Another example is at the center of a charged spherical conductor, where the electric potential is also zero due to the symmetry of the charge distribution.