1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Plan to enter physics/math field in late 20's

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I'm in my late 20's and want to enter the field of physics/math. Just trying to get a general plan of how to go about accomplishing that.

First, I'm good at math. Not only am I good at it, I love it. Physics too. I'm a qualified member of Mensa (I stopped paying the dues, seemed pointless) and am very familiar with at least undergraduate math (algebra, calculus, etc.).

Money & time aren't an issue. I'm married and my wife makes very good money. She loves her job and is content to let me do whatever.

I never went to college before. I accepted a decent job right out of high school and paid my wife's way through college and supported us. I suppose I could have gone part time or something, but I didn't really know what I wanted to do as a career back then. I never really found my love of math & physics until a couple years ago. I had a good job, and didn't have a clue what I would study, so I figured why bother? In hindsight, I wish I could do it over, but what's done is done.

Even though I'm good at math and have studied physics independently, I'm not under the delusion that I won't need an education. Therefore, my first goal is to acquire a bachelors of math and physics.

I live in California, and the major university in my area I was considering (California State) isn't even accepting applications due to the California budget problems. So, I figure I'll go to a two year college and then transfer.

What colleges have the best physics/math reputations in California? I'm assuming Caltech? I live a fair distance away from Caltech, and even though I did very well in high school I doubt they'd accept somebody like me, someone ten years out of high school who hasn't gone to college before, so I figured State was the way to go. Would Caltech be an option after the two year degree, assuming I achieve a 4.0 GPA or close to it? Any other universities I should be considering?

Are there any pure physics/math jobs I could get with a four year degree? If so, what kind? As I said, money and time aren't really an issue, so I could continue and get a masters or doctorate if need be. Would a masters or PHD be required for the true math/physics positions?

Is there anything I'm overlooking? Any advice?

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2
    Hi Cosmosgrav. Any of the Cal State schools would be a good option, and most of the UC schools are very well respected in their math and physics programs. Cal Tech is a very small school and extremely selective, so it would be difficult to get in. I'm just guessing that they would have some problems accepting someone a little older than their usual student, and you probably wouldn't even like it there considering the type of student that goes there.

Getting a pure math job is not really an option with just a bachelor's, so unless you want to teach high school you will need to go on to graduate school. The bachelor's in physics is probably a little more flexible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook