1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck's Constant measured in photoelectric effect

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In an advanced laboratory class a student performs the photoelectric experiment. Ultraviolet light is shone on a particular metal and the stopping potential is measured at the same time. It is found that 2.61 V is needed to stop all the electrons when the wavelength of the light is 285 nm, and 4.53 V for a wavelength of 207 nm. What is the work function of the metal?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]hf=eV+\phi[/tex]
    Find [tex]\phi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

(1)[tex]hf_{1}=eV_{1}+\phi[/tex]

(2)[tex]hf_{2}=eV_{2}+\phi[/tex]

divide 1 by 2 to get rid of h, and we get

[tex]\frac{f_{1}}{f_{2}}=\frac{eV_{1}+\phi}{eV_{2}+\phi}[/tex]

i can't seem to solve for [tex]\phi[/tex] and get the correct answer. i've tried doing it both algebraically(sp, sry) and with a calculator. possibly i'm putting the numbers in wrong? i have:

[tex]e=1.6022*10^-19 C[/tex]

[tex]f_{1}=285*10^-9 m[/tex]

[tex]f_{2}=207*10^-9 m[/tex]

[tex]V_{1}=2.61V[/tex]

[tex]V_{2}=4.53V[/tex]

where am i going wrong? please help

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2
    Should you need two wavelengths to measure the work function in this experiment?

4. Feb 20, 2007 #3
    my apologies, i should have added something not stated in the problem. the second part of this problem is stated:

2. What is Planck's constant based on this measurement?

from this i assume that h is an unknown for part 1. my reasoning is that this is an experiment, and Planck's constant is not exact; it is just supposed to be calculated from four measurements someone took in a lab.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?