1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane electromagnetic wave and metallic waveguide

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    Explain why a plane electromagnetic wave cannot propagate through a metallic waveguide.

I've tried to come up with an answer, but I haven't been able to. I thought metallic waveguides were good since they reflected the propagating wave very well, allowing the wave to move without much loss in power. Am I wrong? Why can't an EM wave propagate through a metallic waveguide?

Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The keyword is plane:wink:

4. May 16, 2010 #3
    I understand a plane wave doesn't bounce off the sides of the waveguide. But can't it still propagate down a metallic waveguide, nonetheless?

Cheers!

5. May 17, 2010 #4
    In addition to the question above, what significance would an antenna traveling across water have on the wave? would the water absorb some of the wave instead of reflecting it, causing the signal to weaken?

Cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook