Plane slides on ice because of wind

In summary, the conversation was about a viral video on Youtube showing a plane being pushed on ice by strong winds. The participants discussed the force of the wind, the likelihood of a ramp agent being able to hold the plane, and the weight distribution of the aircraft. Some suggested that the plane was empty and had a slick layer of ice under its tires, while others pointed out the impact of the tail fin and exceptional icing. Ultimately, it was concluded that the leverage of the tail fin was the key factor in the plane's movement.
Square1
I found this clip on youtube of a plane getting pushed on ice due to strong winds. Have a look.

I guess I just want to hear some comments about what is reallly going on here. How we can estimate the force of the wind pushing, what chance the ramp agent has of holding the place himself if say he digs his heels into the ground, what kind of traction the tires have etc.

I think the winds were probably not that strong, especially since the snowflakes we can see are not racing across the screen, nor do I see and big clouds of snow from some large wind gusts in the frame. Consider the snow you would see kicked up even behind even a turboprop once it starts to move . Then compare with the winds seen here. I am tempted to say that the plane had to have been empty, and little/no fuel, and a real slick layer of ice was formed right under the tires (not snow), and the winds themselves were not that strong.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at the falling snow you can see the wind is blowing left to right. This is blowing on the vertical tail fin pushing the tail to the right and the nose to the left.

Most of the aircrafts weight is carried by the main wheels. The load on the nose wheel can sometimes be very light. In some cases aircraft have tipped onto their tail (nose wheel off the ground) when the loaders made a slight mistake.

Edit.

Ah ok I forgot the tail is presenting a large flat surface here..so that will add a bit more understanding.

I don't see how the distribution of the weight is a factor here though since even if the gust is on the tail, it would still need to be strong enough to move whatever is loaded in the back, so that the nose start to move too. Also you can't see any loose bits of clothing on the ramp attendants being vigorously blown, and they don't even seem to be affected by the wind at all (bracing themselves). Nor are other objects showing signs (curtains on cargo shuttle for example), therefore I still think the large strength of the wind is not the real surprising factor here. I'm thinking a very light aircraft at the time, indeed the large tail fin presenting a flat surface, and also exceptional icing under tires.

Last edited:
I believe the answer Is leverage. The fin is a long way from the point of rotation.

1. What causes a plane to slide on ice due to wind?

The primary cause of a plane sliding on ice due to wind is the lack of friction between the plane's tires and the icy runway surface. When there is a strong crosswind, the force of the wind can push the plane sideways, causing it to lose traction and slide on the ice.

2. Can a pilot prevent a plane from sliding on ice due to wind?

Yes, a pilot can take certain precautions to prevent a plane from sliding on ice due to wind. They can adjust the plane's speed and use specific techniques to maintain control and prevent sliding, such as using differential braking and rudder control.

3. Is it dangerous for a plane to slide on ice because of wind?

While it is not ideal for a plane to slide on ice due to wind, it is not necessarily dangerous. Pilots are trained to handle these situations and have protocols in place to ensure the safety of the passengers and crew. However, it can cause delays and inconvenience for passengers.

4. How common is it for a plane to slide on ice due to wind?

Plane slides on ice due to wind are relatively uncommon, as airports have procedures in place to prevent and manage these situations. However, they can occur during severe weather conditions or when runways are not properly maintained.

5. Can a plane slide on ice due to wind even without a strong crosswind?

Yes, a plane can still slide on ice due to wind even without a strong crosswind. The wind speed and direction, as well as the condition of the runway, can all play a role in causing a plane to slide on ice. Pilots must always be aware of these factors and take appropriate measures to ensure a safe landing.