1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please check if the differential equation is correct

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    I am practising for my test. The question is to solve a differential equation

dy/dx + y/x + 1 = 5x

y(0) = 1.

The answer that i have come up with is

(xy+y)= 5x^3/3+5x^2/2+c

by substituting the values x=0 and y=1 in to the general equation I get

y(x+1)=5x^3/3 + 5x^2/2 +1

as the particular solution.

Can you tell me how will the particular solution look like and why this particular solution exists?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey rohit99 and welcome to the forums.

For your equation your initial condition only effects a constant in the entire equation.

Based on this what is the effect of adding or subtracting a constant in a general equation? (Hint: how does it 'shift' the function?)

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean y/(x+1).

What exactly do you mean by "look like"? If you just mean "solve for y", divide both sides by x+ 1.
    The differential equation can be written
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= 5x- \frac{y}{x+1}[/tex]
    The function on the right side is differentiable for all y and all x except -1 so by the "fundamental existence and uniqueness theorem" for initial value problems, a unique solution to this problem exist for all x larger than -1.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook