Please check my answer. Do I have the right one?

• Thread starter defdek
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the stresses in two steel rods and a copper rod with a diameter of 20mm supporting a load of 20kN. The equations l=FL/AE and lE/L are used to calculate the stresses, with the values for E being 2.05 GN/m^2 for steel and 1.10 GN/m^2 for copper. The unit symbol for GN/m^2 is GPa. The relevant equations must be listed and solved using an equilibrium equation.
defdek
The original question:
2 steel rods and copper each of 20mm diameter together support a load of 20 kN. Find the stresses in the rod. Take E for steel and copper as 2.05 GN/m^2 and 1.10 GN/m^2.

l=FL/AE

for steel
l=(20kN)(2m)/(0.0003141x3)(2.05 GN/m^2)=0.021
stress= lE/L=(0.021m)(2.05 GN/m^2)/2m=21525000

and should i do the same for copper?

Attachments

• picture.png
    picture.png
    788 bytes · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
defdek: Your answer is currently incorrect. What you typed would be three steel rods, which is not what the question says. You omitted the other relevant equations.

You must list the relevant equations yourself. The PF rules state we are not allowed to list relevant equations for you, nor tell you how to approach or solve your homework problem. We can only check your math, after you do all of the work to figure out how to approach the problem. Hint 1: Try an equilibrium equation.

By the way, the correct unit symbol for GN/m^2 is called GPa. Only write GPa; do not write its derivation each time. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

nvn said:
defdek: Your answer is currently incorrect. What you typed would be three steel rods, which is not what the question says. You omitted the other relevant equations.

You must list the relevant equations yourself. The PF rules state we are not allowed to list relevant equations for you, nor tell you how to approach or solve your homework problem. We can only check your math, after you do all of the work to figure out how to approach the problem. Hint 1: Try an equilibrium equation.

By the way, the correct unit symbol for GN/m^2 is called GPa. Only write GPa; do not write its derivation each time. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

I found it. thanks for the hint

1. What do you mean by "Please check my answer"?

By "Please check my answer", I am asking for a second opinion or confirmation on the correctness of my response.

2. Is this a common request in the scientific community?

Yes, it is common for scientists to seek feedback or validation from their peers before finalizing their conclusions or findings. Collaboration and peer review are important aspects of the scientific process.

3. Why is it important to have someone check your answer?

Having someone check your answer can help identify any potential errors or flaws in your reasoning. It also provides an opportunity for constructive criticism and improvement of the answer.

4. Is there a specific process or protocol for checking answers in science?

Yes, the process of peer review is commonly used in the scientific community for checking and evaluating answers. This involves submitting the answer to a group of experts in the field for evaluation and feedback.

5. Are there any resources or tools available for checking answers in science?

Yes, there are various resources and tools, such as statistical analysis software and databases, that can be used to check answers in science. Additionally, collaborations with other scientists and attending conferences and workshops can also help in checking and improving answers.