Have i done this right? Simply Supported Beams

• Thread starter Vancurt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beams
In summary, the conversation is about finding the reactions Ra and Rb using the sum of moments and using the equations for direct stress, shear stress, strain, and modulus of elasticity. The supported beams in question are 3.5m long and have loads of 2KN and 3KN placed at specific points. The conversation also includes notes from a previous example and an attempt to find Ra and Rb for the given beam. The SFD (shear force diagram) is also briefly discussed.
Vancurt
ƩƩ

Homework Statement

I am having issues finding Ra and Rb using the Sum of the momemnts, it's ƩMCW = MACW.

I need to find the position of the maximum and minimum bending moments.

The Supported beams in question is 3.5m long. Starting from the left and moving towards the right: 1m in and then a 2KN load, then 1.5m further in and then another load of 3KN hits down and then an extra 1m when it meets the end.

Like this: 1m, 2KN, 1.5m, 3KN, 1m.
Ra Rb

Looking at my notes for some example i did (didn't finish the notes, must of forgot and now paying the price), example i did:

3m, 4KN, 4m, 3KN.
Ra Rb

And here are the notes:

ƩMCW = MACW

(4x3) + (3X7) = Rb x 12

12 + 21 =Rb x 12

33/12 = Rb =2.75KN

ƩFup = ƩFdown

Ra + Rb = 4+3

Ra + 2.75 = 7

Ra = 7 - 2.75

Ra = 4.25KN

In the Engineering book i brought: Engineering Science by Mike Tooley and Lloyd Dingle, there is a beam example:

2m, 20KN, 3m, 5KN, 2m, 30KN, 2m, 15KN.
Ra Rb

He did this: 2x20 + 5x5 + 7x30 + 9x15 = 8xRb

Using this example and my own, i attempted to answer the question to find Ra and Rb. The very first and poorly drawn supported beam at the top.

Homework Equations

Direct Stress σ = F/A = Force/Area n/m squared

Sheer stress ζ = F/A = Force/Area n/m squared

Strain ε = Δ x L/L = Change in length/Original length.

Modulus of elasticity E = σ/ε = stress/strain N/M squared.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at the very first diagram (the 3.5 over all length)

(2x1) + (2.5x3) = 9.5

Rb x 3.5 = 9.5 x 3.5 = 33.25

2+7 = Rb x 3.5

9.5/3.5 = 2.71KN

Rb = 2.71KN

ƩFup = ƩFdown

Ra + Rb = 2 + 3 = 5

Ra + 2.71 = 5 - 2.71 = 2.5 KN

Ra = 2.5KN

So Rb = 2.71 KN and Ra = 2.5KN

What i don't undertand is on my previous attempt, Ra = 2.286 KN and Rb = 2.714KN

Where have i gone wrong? And what do i need to do after finding Ra and Rb?

Physics news on Phys.org
Found Ra. How did i miss that.

My first notes were correct. Rb = 2.714kn and Ra = 2.286kn

I did the calculations wrong.

Last edited:
Ok, i need help, how do i plot the sheer force diagram?

I did a rough example:

+

+2.28 for 1m then with the 2KN i come down to .28 for 2.5m and with the 3KN i come down to -2.72 for 3.5m and then back up to 0 inbetween the plus and minus.
-

Is this rough version ok?

You can always check your own reactions by taking moments about ANY point you haven't used to get the initial result. Your SFD seems ok to me, But people use various sign conventions.

As a scientist, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure that your approach is correct. It seems like you have made some errors in your calculations, resulting in different values for Ra and Rb in your previous attempt.

To find Ra and Rb, you can use the equations ƩMCW = MACW and ƩFup = ƩFdown. Make sure that you are considering all the forces and moments acting on the beam and using the correct sign conventions.

Once you have found the values for Ra and Rb, you can use them to determine the position of the maximum and minimum bending moments. This can be done by setting up an equation for the bending moment at a specific point on the beam and solving for that point. Alternatively, you can draw a shear and moment diagram to visualize the distribution of bending moments along the beam.

If you are still having trouble, it might be helpful to review some examples in your textbook or seek assistance from a tutor or classmate. Remember to always double check your work and make sure your approach is correct before moving on to the next step. Good luck!

1. What is a simply supported beam?

A simply supported beam is a type of structural element that is supported at both ends, allowing it to freely rotate and deflect under load. It is commonly used in bridges, buildings, and other structures.

2. How do I know if I have designed the beam correctly?

There are several factors that need to be considered when designing a simply supported beam, including the material properties, loading conditions, and safety factors. To ensure that the beam is designed correctly, it is important to follow applicable codes and standards, perform necessary calculations, and conduct structural analysis.

3. What are the common mistakes made when designing simply supported beams?

Some common mistakes when designing simply supported beams include underestimating the load or not considering all possible loading conditions, using incorrect material properties, and not accounting for safety factors. It is important to carefully review all calculations and consider all design factors to avoid these mistakes.

4. What is the maximum allowable deflection for a simply supported beam?

The maximum allowable deflection for a simply supported beam depends on the specific application and design requirements. In general, the deflection should be limited to ensure the structural integrity and functionality of the beam. The maximum allowable deflection can be calculated using structural analysis and design codes.

5. Can a simply supported beam be used for all types of structures?

While simply supported beams are commonly used in many structures, they may not be suitable for all applications. The design and use of a simply supported beam should take into consideration factors such as the size and shape of the structure, the loading conditions, and the material properties. In some cases, other types of structural elements may be more appropriate.