1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please check my solutions on the following scans.

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    I'm sure that I have all the answers right except for number 5 and number 10.
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/monkey13330gg/scan0001.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/monkey13330gg/scan0002.jpg

On number 5, I think the answer is either B or E.

I think it is B because if the cart is already in motion when the timer starts, then the graph would start on the y-axis instead of all the way over to the right.

I also think that the answer is E because the distance between the graph and the y-axis indicate the friction that the force have to overcome to be able to make the cart go.

For number 10.

Somehow my answer does not seem right. I have E as an answer because the only thing I could get out of that graph is acceleration.

Please check on these two problems (number 5 and 10) and do any problem that you are interested in. Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm only gonna look at 5 and 10.

For number 5, it means that there is zero acceleration for a non-zero force. I'll leave it up to you to determine what answer choice that leads to.

Hint: In the formula F = ma, F is the NET force acting on an object.

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10 looks good. Understand why:

It's not A because distance covered would be the area underneath each curve (clearly not the same for I and II)

It's not B because the inertial mass is the 'm' in F = ma, and although the two objects appear to have roughly the same acceleration, suggesting that there is a constant force acting on each one, that does not necessitate them having the same mass. It could be that they have different masses and are being acted upon by two *different* forces (eliminating D as well). These two different forces could differ by just the right amount in order to have the two objects of differing mass accelerate at the same rate.

It's not C because gravity is not relevant to the problem.

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?