Please check this complex integral

In summary, the task at hand is to evaluate the integral $ \oint\frac{dz}{z(2z+1)} $ over a unit circle contour. This can be accomplished using the residue theorem, as the function has two simple poles at 0 and $-\frac{1}{2}$. By calculating the residues at these points, we can find that the integral is equal to 0. Alternatively, we can use partial fractions to rewrite the integral as $ \oint \left[ \frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z+\frac{1}{2}} \right] dz $ and use the fact that the integral of $\frac{1}{z-a}$ is $2\pi i$
ognik
An old exam has: Evaluate $ \oint\frac{dz}{z(2z+1)} $, where the contour is a unit circle

This look good for the residue theorem, it has 2 simple poles at 0, $-\frac{1}{2}$
$ Res(f, 0)= \lim_{{z}\to{0}}z\frac{1}{z(2z+1)}=1$
$ Res(f, -\frac{1}{2})= \lim_{{z}\to{-\frac{1}{2}}}(z+\frac{1}{2})\frac{1}{z2(z+\frac{1}{2})}=-1$
$ \oint\frac{dz}{z(2z+1)} =2\pi i\sum Res(f) = 2 \pi [1 + (-1)] = 0$
Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an easier suggestion. Use partial fractions first.

ognik said:
An old exam has: Evaluate $ \oint\frac{dz}{z(2z+1)} $, where the contour is a unit circle

This look good for the residue theorem, it has 2 simple poles at 0, $-\frac{1}{2}$
$ Res(f, 0)= \lim_{{z}\to{0}}z\frac{1}{z(2z+1)}=1$
$ Res(f, -\frac{1}{2})= \lim_{{z}\to{-\frac{1}{2}}}(z+\frac{1}{2})\frac{1}{z2(z+\frac{1}{2})}=-1$
$ \oint\frac{dz}{z(2z+1)} =2\pi i\sum Res(f) = 2 \pi [1 + (-1)] = 0$
Is that right?

Looks good to me :)

ThePerfectHacker said:
Here is an easier suggestion. Use partial fractions first.

Hi TPH, I don't see how partial fractions are easier $ \implies \oint \left[ \frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z+\frac{1}{2}} \right] dz $ - I would still end up finding 2 residues? What am I missing?

ognik said:
Hi TPH, I don't see how partial fractions are easier $ \implies \oint \left[ \frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z+\frac{1}{2}} \right] dz $ - I would still end up finding 2 residues? What am I missing?

Use the following fact,
$$ \oint_{\Gamma} \frac{dz}{z-a} = \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} 2\pi i & \text{ if } & a \text{ is inside the contour } \\
0 & \text{ if } & a \text{ is not inside } \end{array} \right. $$

You do not need to calculate anything. Only see if $a$ is inside or outside your contour.

Nice. So both are inside, therefore we get $2 \pi i - 2 \pi i$ = 0?

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the area under a complex-valued function within a given region. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of working with real numbers, it works with complex numbers.

2. Why is it important to check complex integrals?

Checking complex integrals is important because it allows us to verify the accuracy of our calculations and ensure that we are using the correct methods. It also helps us to identify any potential errors or mistakes in our work.

3. How do you check a complex integral?

To check a complex integral, we first need to evaluate it using appropriate techniques such as the Residue Theorem or Cauchy's Integral Formula. Then, we can compare our result with known solutions or use numerical methods to approximate the integral and check for consistency.

4. What are some common mistakes when checking complex integrals?

Some common mistakes when checking complex integrals include forgetting to account for the branch cuts of a function, using incorrect substitution methods, or making calculation errors. It is important to be careful and double check our work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can complex integrals be solved exactly?

In some cases, complex integrals can be solved exactly using techniques such as contour integration or the Cauchy-Riemann equations. However, in most cases, complex integrals cannot be solved exactly and require numerical methods for approximation.