1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Check to See if I'm Doing Work-Energy Problem Correctly

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Please Check to See if I'm Doing Work-Energy Problem Correctly

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child riding a bicycle has a total mass of 40 kg. The child approaches the top of a hill that is 10 m high and 100 m long at 5 m/s. If the force of friction between the bicycle and the hill is 20 N, what is the child's velocity at the bottom of the hill?

2. Relevant equations

K = 1/2 * mv^2, U = mgh, W = delta E, W = Fx * cos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone check to see if I'm doing this correctly. I think what they're trying to say is that you're already at the top.

I would first do K-initial + U-initial = 4420 J. Then Then set that to Fx and solve for F which is 44.2 N. Subtract 20 N from that and you get 24.2 N and multiply it back by x which gives you 242 J. Set that to K-final and solve for v and you get 11 m/s.

Did I do everything correctly?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Use the energy equation properly. What you have written seems complicated to me. Where is cos theta comin from?

KE at bottom = KE at top + PE at top + Work done against friction.

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get 11m/s as well and I used the kinematic equations. So I guess you've done everything correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?