Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please Check to See if I'm Doing Work-Energy Problem Correctly

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Please Check to See if I'm Doing Work-Energy Problem Correctly

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child riding a bicycle has a total mass of 40 kg. The child approaches the top of a hill that is 10 m high and 100 m long at 5 m/s. If the force of friction between the bicycle and the hill is 20 N, what is the child's velocity at the bottom of the hill?

2. Relevant equations

K = 1/2 * mv^2, U = mgh, W = delta E, W = Fx * cos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone check to see if I'm doing this correctly. I think what they're trying to say is that you're already at the top.

I would first do K-initial + U-initial = 4420 J. Then Then set that to Fx and solve for F which is 44.2 N. Subtract 20 N from that and you get 24.2 N and multiply it back by x which gives you 242 J. Set that to K-final and solve for v and you get 11 m/s.

Did I do everything correctly?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Use the energy equation properly. What you have written seems complicated to me. Where is cos theta comin from?

KE at bottom = KE at top + PE at top + Work done against friction.

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get 11m/s as well and I used the kinematic equations. So I guess you've done everything correctly.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook