Please explain why z = cosθ + jsinθ in this video.

In summary, The equation z = cosθ + jsinθ is known as Euler's formula and is derived from the unit circle in the complex plane. The proof can be found in the Wikipedia article provided. Z is not just the distance from the origin to a point, but is a complex number with a magnitude of 1 and represents a direction in the complex plane based on the angle θ.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, I meant why z = cosθ + jsinθ not Euler's formula.
Is z a vector? Why not use vector symbol anywhere here? I can't figure out the equation z = cosθ + jsinθ.

anhnha said:
Hi, I meant why z = cosθ + jsinθ not Euler's formula.
Is z a vector? Why not use vector symbol anywhere here? I can't figure out the equation z = cosθ + jsinθ.

Euler's formula. The proof is in the link I posted. We can write [itex]z = e^{i\theta}[/itex] (since z lies on the unit circle), and the rest follows immediately from Euler.

How much experience do you have with complex variables? I'm really not sure where your confusion lies. The video explains the equation is a fair bit of detail, and the link I posted gives a rigorous proof, so if you're still confused you're going to have to be more specific.

Hi again,
I use complex number a lot but not really understand it.
My confusion is in the equation z = cosθ + j sinθ
z is the distance from origin O to z point. It is a real number
But cosθ + j sinθ is clearly a complex number.
A real number is impossible to equal to a complex number. That is what I can't get.

anhnha said:
Hi again,
I use complex number a lot but not really understand it.
My confusion is in the equation z = cosθ + j sinθ
z is the distance from origin O to z point. It is a real number
But cosθ + j sinθ is clearly a complex number.
A real number is impossible to equal to a complex number. That is what I can't get.

z is not "the distance from the origin O to z point", it's a complex number. This is stated very explicitly in the video.

z = cosθ + jsinθ is a unit circle in the complex plane; you could also write it as r=(cosθ,sinθ) ... then when you check the Euclidean distance you will find r^2 = cos^2 θ + sin^2 θ ... which gives r^2 = 1.

Complex numbers have magnitudes; it is their magnitude |z| which gives the distance to the origin. In this case we have |z|=1. The complex number z also represents a direction in the complex plane; here it is clear that the direction is given by the angle which rotates about the origin.

Thanks. I have misunderstood it for a long time. :(

1. What is z in the equation z = cosθ + jsinθ?

In this equation, z represents a complex number that is composed of a real part (cosθ) and an imaginary part (jsinθ).

2. Why is z written in this form of cosθ + jsinθ?

This form is commonly known as the polar form of a complex number. It is used to represent z in terms of its magnitude (represented by cosθ) and angle (represented by jsinθ).

3. How does z = cosθ + jsinθ relate to the unit circle?

The equation z = cosθ + jsinθ is derived from the unit circle, where the x-coordinate and y-coordinate of a point on the circle are represented by cosθ and sinθ respectively. When converted to polar form, z can be represented by its distance from the origin (magnitude) and its angle from the positive x-axis.

4. What is the significance of the j in jsinθ?

The j in jsinθ represents the imaginary unit, which is equal to the square root of -1. It is used to distinguish the imaginary part of a complex number from the real part.

5. How is z = cosθ + jsinθ used in mathematics and science?

The equation z = cosθ + jsinθ is used in various fields of mathematics and science, such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the study of waves and oscillations, as well as in solving differential equations.