1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help: A box on a frictionless plane, find the power based on work and

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Please help: A box on a frictionless plane, find the power based on work and

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A box of mass M = 7.68 kg is at rest at the bottom of a frictionless inclined plane.

The box is attached to a string that pulls with a constant tension T = 113 N. Write the general equation that gives the work done by the tension when the box has moved a distance x along the plane. Now, find the speed of the box as a function of x and the angle of the plane. Finally, for a distance of x = 6.38 m and an angle of 30.5°, determine the power delivered by the tension in the string as a function of x.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]
    [tex]P=FV[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I am supposed to multiply the net force by velocity for the last part, but I need to find the velocity.

I figured I could use kinetic energy to find the velocity using the ke work theorem. So...

[tex]KE_{f}-KE_{i}=W[/tex]

And since the initial energy is 0

[tex]KE_{f}=W[/tex]

Am I on the right track?

----------------------
    Edit: Solved

Here's the final equation I derived:

[tex]P=T\sqrt{\frac{2x(T-mgsin\theta)}{m}}[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted