Please help, derivation of a=v^2/r of the circular motion using calculus

In summary: We do have a change in position. Look at your own message. You are referring to the velocity vector. My message was about the velocity vector. Like I wrote, dr/dt is constant and equal to the total change of the position vector. The velocity vector is always at a right angle to the position vector. The angle between the position vector and the velocity vector changes. The change in that angle is what we do the integral on. The square of the velocity vector is the scalar product of the velocity vector with itself. That is the expression that we integrate on. I've written the derivation of that formula at my first message in this message.In summary, the conversation was about trying to derive the formula a=v^2/r using calculus
kevinet
So ya, the question that I'm trying to solve is to derive a=v^2/r using calculus.

I am very intrigued when in class my teacher derive angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex]

he did it very elegantly by starting off with the equation

s=r[tex]\theta[/tex] (s is the distance traveled)
then
ds/dt = d (r[tex]\theta[/tex])/dt (differentiating both sides by d/dt)
hence
v/r = d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt (which is how we derive angular velocity :D)

So I am intrigued to how they come up with a=v^2/r and try randomly any calculus methods that I have at my disposal (high school calculus)

Because I don't know what equation they started with, I decided to backtrack from the already established equation a= v^2/ r

if a=v^2/r

dv/dt = (v) (v/r) substituting v/r into d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt

dv/dt = (v) (d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt) cancelling out dt from both equation and rearranging

(1/v) dv = d[tex]\theta[/tex] integrating both sides (separable differential equation)

ln v = [tex]\theta[/tex] rearranging

v = e^[tex]\theta[/tex] Which is a relationship that doesn't make any sense?

Because I'm doubtful of that equation I decided to differentiate back with respect to dt
checking answer:

v= e^[tex]\theta[/tex]

dv/dt = d (e^[tex]\theta[/tex])/dt

a= (e^[tex]\theta[/tex]) (d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt) chain rule

a= (v) (v/r) substituting e^[tex]\theta[/tex]=v and d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt = v/r

hence we came up with the original equation a=v^2/r which mathematically works?

I am sure that I have made a mistake somewhere along the way, but I checked and rechecked, and I can't figure out where, the math works, so it should be okay?

Lots of thanks for those who could point out where it went wrong, even more thanks if you could show me how a=v^2/r is derived using calculus...

Cheers ^o^

Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a slight problem a=(v^2)/r does not refer to the angular or tangential acceleration
[tex]$\alpha=\frac{d\omega }{dt}$[/tex] and [tex] a_{tan}=r\alpha[/tex] (It's just this) .Your formula is for the centripetal acceleration which is a totally different thing and can't be derived as you did.

Last edited:
Be careful exactly how you state this- that formula is not true for general circular motion- it is true only for circular motion at a constant speed.

Set up a coordinate system in the plane of motion with origin at the center of rotation. Take t= 0 at the instant when object is at point (r, 0). Then circular motion, at the constant angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex], is given by [itex]x= r cos(\omega t)[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(\omega t)[/itex] or position vector
[tex]\vec{p}= r cos(\omega t)\vec{i}+ r sin(\omega t)\vec{j}[/tex].

Then the velocity vector is given by
[tex]\vec{v}= \vec{p}/dt= -r\omega sin(\omega t)\vec{i}+ r\omega cos(\omega t)\vec{j}[/tex]
which has magnitude
[tex]\sqrt{r^2 \omega^2(sin^2(\omega t)+ cos^2(\omega t))}= r\omega[/tex]
the "tangential speed" of the object.

Differentiating again,
[tex]\vec{a}= d\vec{v}/dt= -r\omega^2 cos(\omega t)\vec{i}- r\omega^2 sin(\omega t)\vec{j}[/tex]
The magnitude of that vector, the scalar acceleration, is
[tex]\sqrt{r^2\omega^4(cos^2(\omega t)+ sin^2(\omega t))}= r\omega^2[/tex]
Now, since the "tangential speed", v (the magnitude of the velocity vector), was [itex]v= r\omega[/itex], we have [itex]\omega= v/r[/itex] so [itex]|\vec{a}|= r\omega^2= (r)(v/r)^2= v^2/r[/itex].

Notice also that the acceleration vector is [itex]-\omega^2[/itex] times the position vector- the acceleration is pointing opposite to the postion vector, back toward the center of rotation. (Again, that is only true for circular motion at a constant speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, in the case of uniform circular motion the high symmetry of the problem allows a fast derivation.

Let the period of one revolution be called 'T'.

I will use the symbol [itex]\Delta[/itex] for a change over the duration of going through a full circle.

We have the following relation:

[tex] v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T} [/tex]

In the case of uniform circular motion we have the following:

[tex] \frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{\Delta r}{T} [/tex]

That is, with uniform circular motion dr/dt is uniform and equal to the total change of position divided by the duration of a whole revolution.

[tex] \frac{\Delta r}{T} = \frac{2 \pi r}{T} [/tex]

When the position vector goes through a 360 turn then the total change of the position vector is [itex] 2 \pi r [/itex] . The [itex]2 \pi [/itex] comes from that 360 turn.

Next step:
In the case of uniform circular motion the velocity vector is at all times perpendicular to the position vector. It goes through the same 360 turn. So the expression for the total change of the velocity vector must have the same form as the one for the total change of the position vector.

[tex] \frac{\Delta v}{T} = \frac{2 \pi v}{T} [/tex]

In the case of uniform circular motion the magnitude of the acceleration is uniform:

[tex] a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{\Delta v}{T} [/tex]

Removing 'T' from the expression with a subsitution:

[tex] \frac{\Delta v}{T} = \Delta v \frac{v}{2 \pi r} = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

Conclusion: in the case of uniform circular motion we have:

[tex] a = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

Last edited:
Cleonis said:
When the position vector goes through a 360 turn then the total change of the position vector is [itex] 2 \pi r [/itex] . The [itex]2 \pi [/itex] comes from that 360 turn.

Next step:
In the case of uniform circular motion the velocity vector is at all times perpendicular to the position vector. It goes through the same 360 turn. So the expression for the total change of the velocity vector must have the same form as the one for the total change of the position vector.

Isn't the change in the velocity and position vectors after a full 360 degree turn actually zero?

matonski said:
Isn't the change in the velocity and position vectors after a full 360 degree turn actually zero?

You are referring to position relative to some initial point. Sure, after you've turned through 360 degrees you are back at the position where you started. Counting things that way is not what I intended in the derivation I wrote down.

In retrospect I should have used the expression 'accumulated change of position' instead of 'the total change of position'.

I'm presenting a reformulation of the derivation of a=v^2/r in the case of uniform circular motion. It's somewhat more in the direction of a mathematically rigorous derivation.

I will use the letter 'T' to stand for the total duration of going through a full circle.
I define a shorthand notation: [itex]\sum [/itex] is to be read as summation over precisely a circle. In that shorthand notation: [itex]\sum \Delta t = T[/itex]

When 'r' and 'v' are used as scalar quantities we have the relation :

[tex] v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T} [/tex]

Now I write down a counterpart of that with 'r' and 'v' taken as vector quantities.

[tex] |\vec v| = \lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \frac{\sum | \Delta \vec r|}{T} [/tex]

(I take it the notation [itex]|\vec x|[/itex] for the length of the vector x is known.)
The position vector [itex]\vec r[/itex] is a radial vector with a fixed origin. [itex]\vec r[/itex] sweeps out a circle, [itex]\Delta \vec r[/itex] is the change of [itex]\vec r[/itex] during time interval [itex]\Delta t[/itex].

We have:

[tex] \lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \sum | \Delta \vec r| = 2 \pi | \vec r| [/tex]

Hence:

[tex] |\vec v| = \frac{2 \pi |\vec r|}{T} [/tex] There is a one-on-one relation between the instantaneous position vector and the instantaneous velocity vector. The two are all times perpendicular to each other.

Likewise, there is a one-on-one relation between the acceleration vector and the velocity vector; the two are perpendicular at all times. (And we know that the acceleration vector is at all times opposite in direction to the position vector)

Acceleration relates to velocity as velocity relates to position; the operation is taking the time derivative.

That is sufficient to imply the following:

[tex] |\vec a| = \lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \frac{\sum |\Delta \vec v|}{T} [/tex]We are accustomed to thinking of the set of all position vectors relative to some point of origin as a space. If you will, a position space.
The necessary step is to transfer that thinking to velocity. Think of the set of all velocity vectors as a space. If you will, a velocity space

Any operation that is valid for position space is valid for velocity space.

In the limit of summation of infinitisimal parts we therefore have:

[tex] |\vec a| = \frac{2 \pi |\vec v|}{T} [/tex]

Simplifying to an expression with scalar quantities:

[tex] a = \frac{2 \pi v}{T} [/tex] Removing 'T' from the expression with a substitution:

[tex] a = 2 \pi v \frac{v}{2 \pi r} = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]The key points:
- The set of all velocity vectors is the same kind of vector space as position space.
- The set of all acceleration vectors is the same kind of vector space as position space.
- In the case of uniform circular motion there is a one-on-one relation between the instantaneous position vector, the instantaneous velocity vector, and the instantaneous acceleration vector

Last edited:

1. What is the equation for circular motion?

The equation for circular motion is a=v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

2. How is calculus used to derive the equation for circular motion?

Calculus is used to derive the equation for circular motion by analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. By taking the derivative of the position equation with respect to time, we can find the velocity equation, and then taking the derivative of the velocity equation, we can find the acceleration equation, which is a=v^2/r.

3. What is the significance of the radius in the equation for circular motion?

The radius in the equation for circular motion represents the distance from the center of the circle to the object moving in the circular path. It is a crucial factor in determining the magnitude of the acceleration in circular motion.

4. Can the equation for circular motion be used for any type of circular path?

Yes, the equation a=v^2/r can be used for any type of circular path, as long as the object is moving at a constant speed. This includes circles, arcs, and even helixes.

5. How is the equation for circular motion related to Newton's second law of motion?

The equation for circular motion, a=v^2/r, is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In circular motion, the net force acting on an object is directed towards the center of the circle, and the mass can be replaced by v^2/r, resulting in the equation a=v^2/r.