1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help - how do I magnetize water in test tube with electromagnetic field

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Trying to magnetize water in a test tube so that it will move or pick up iron shaving(s)

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    Wrapped test tube with magnetic wire (500 turns) wire is connected to DC current of 122 volts. It will pick up iron shavings with an iron rod in the test tube. It will not move or pick up shavings when I put only water in the test tube. How can I magnetize water in a test tube so that it will move or pick up iron shavings

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might start to think about the various types of magnetism: paramagnetic, diamagnetic and ferromagnetic. You might also want to understand the definition of Curie Point in relation to ferromagnetism.

One point, if you are applying a strong magnetic field to the water, how will you know if the iron filings are moving in response to the water or the much larger applied magnetic field.

Hint: Water will not hold a magnetic field for long no matter how strong the applied field. When you switch off the applied magnetic field, the magnetic field generated by the water will decay to zero very quickly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?