Need help with the magnetic field generated by this current distribution

In summary: I know, that´s what I thought, is this a topic for intro physics? As I see it it is a little harder than...Intro to physics might be a good place to start. Thanks!
Tom.G said:
The images from posts 92 & 93 (repeated here) suggest the magnetic field is perpendicular to the surface. That is also compatible with the magnetic compass pointing differently on the two surfaces of the disk.

You might get some magnetic field imaging film...
Good observation, it also looks (if you look at the out of focus part at bottom) like the powder is "turning" to the right, it is far from conclusive though. I will get the magnetic film and do the experiment again.
It seems that the strongest magnetic force is at the edge, when I moved the compass closer to the axis it seemed to loose it's "grip", however it does not mean that there is no magnetic field on the inside, it may just mean that the field is weak on the inside of the periphery and strong just at the edge where it completes its loop. One thing that is conclusive is that the compass is showing two poles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetosphere said:
It seems that the strongest magnetic force is at the edge ...
Don't forget that all the current that is fed into the center of the iron disk is drained by the brass ring around the edge. Near the edge, I would expect the compass to respond to the magnetic field generated by the current in the brass ring not to the current in the iron disk. You need to place the compass away from the edge to test the field in the iron. Of course, if the compass is the size of the disk, you cannot do that.

Likes Magnetosphere
kuruman said:
Don't forget that all the current that is fed into the center of the iron disk is drained by the brass ring around the edge. Near the edge, I would expect the compass to respond to the magnetic field generated by the current in the brass ring not to the current in the iron disk. You need to place the compass away from the edge to test the field in the iron. Of course, if the compass is the size of the disk, you cannot do that.

I only gave the disk a few short bursts of current and used the compass after, since brass is not magnetic the magnetism can only come from the iron. I did place the compass closer to the axis (#106... it seemed to loose it's "grip") when I moved it away from the axis it wanted to follow the edge, see #95.

Last edited:
Magnetosphere said:
I only gave the disk a few short bursts of current and used the compass after, since brass is not magnetic the magnetism can only come from the iron. I did place the compass closer to the axis (#106... it seemed to loose it's "grip") when I moved it away from the axis it wanted to follow the edge, see #95.
Is the purpose of this exercise to map the magnetic field from the presumably permanently magnetized disk after you have pulsed a (mostly) radial current through it? The original statement of your question
Magnetosphere said:

Homework Statement

A DC current is flowing between two electrodes through a iron disk medium. Positive is attached to the copper shaft of the disc and the negative is attached to the outer brass periphery of the disk. The radius of the disk is 2,54mm (1 inch) and the height of the disk is 1cm. How does the magnetic field look/behave when a DC current is applied to the disk?
made me (at least) believe that you wanted to map the magnetic field while the current is running. Which is it, after or while?

Likes Magnetosphere
kuruman said:
Is the purpose of this exercise to map the magnetic field from the presumably permanently magnetized disk after you have pulsed a (mostly) radial current through it? The original statement of your question

made me at least believe that you wanted to map the magnetic field while the current is running. Which is it, after or while?

Hey, yeah, to me it is basically the same thing when it is turned on and turned off, the iron in the steel is magnetized and keeps its magnetic forces aligned for a while after current is off. I need to know the behavior, where is the south pole/north pole mainly. It appears that my drawing could be correct considering how the compass needle behaved. However, everything is still not clear, but it seems that we have at least some credible information.

If it's the same to you, then your answer is after the current is turned off. Currents running in wires generate magnetic fields in the absence of iron. These fields disappear when the current is turned off.

Likes Magnetosphere
kuruman said:
If it's the same to you, then your answer is after the current is turned off. Currents running in wires generate magnetic fields in the absence of iron. These fields disappear when the current is turned off.

Yes the wires produce a magnetic field while the current is there, but the mass of the wires compared to the mass of the disk is minuscule and the produced magnetic field in the wires will not affect the disk nor the compass in any way. This time the readings with the compass were done with the power turned OFF due to the risk while short circuiting the battery. Next time I will do the readings with the power turned ON as I plan to install a resistor and study the magnetic field in 3D. Bellow is a summery of what happened in comparison to my drawing, I am not sure if the arrows in the drawing have the right direction. What is more important is that two poles have been confirmed and apparently a magnetic field that is running around the axis.

poles.jpg

Attachments

• poles.jpg
    poles.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Whatever you do, be sure you do it safely and consider he cautionary suggestions posted here. It wouldn't be a bad idea to wear eye protection and have an appropriate fire extinguisher handy.

Likes Magnetosphere