1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me evaluate this seemingly simple integral

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let x(t) = e-100tu(t)

u(t) = 0 for t < 0
    u(t) = 1 for t > 0

Evaluate the following integral (from -∞ to ∞):

X(ω) = ∫ x(t)e-iωtdt

2. Relevant equations

See below.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to evaluate the integral by splitting it in two parts, since x(t) takes two different values. Keep in mind I'm replacing ∞ with a to evaluate the limit later.

from -∞ to 0:
    X1(ω) = ∫ e-iωtdt

X1(ω) = (1/-iω) e-iωt (from -∞ to 0)

X1(ω) = (1/-iω)(1 - eiωa)

from 0 to ∞:
    X2(ω) = e-100∫ e-iωtdt

X2(ω) = e-100 (1/-iω) e-iωt (from 0 to ∞)

X2(ω) = e-100 (1/-iω)(e-iωa - 1)

X(ω) = X1(ω) + X2(ω) = (1/-iω)(1 - eiωa) + e-100 (1/-iω)(e-iωa - 1)

= (1/-iω) (1 - eiωa + e-100e-iωa - e-100)

This is where I'm stuck. The answer is supposed to be X(ω) = 1 / (100 + iω), and I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to get there. Would someone mind helping me out?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2
    Doh, it looks like I failed hard, I accidently put x(t) = e-100 instead of x(t) = e-100t. However when I tried to solve the problem earlier I got that right and I still didn't end up with the right answer (I re-did the problem from scratch when posting here). Is there a "trick" to solve this?

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

shouldn't the negative half of the integral be zero?

also don't forget to take the limit for a as well

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  5. Jan 5, 2012 #4
    edit: sorry of some of my vocabulary is hard to understand, english isn't my primary language. I got the positive part of the integral right (it gives me the correct answer), I fixed the mistake I did in my first post. However I can't see how the negative part is supposed to be zero.

Well I see that it's supposed to be zero given the form of the answer, but I don't see how lim a -> ∞(1 - eiωa) can give zero, unless it's a special property of the exponent with the imaginary number i. Note that I'm taking the limit of a to infinity since I replaced the -∞ with -a earlier, thus cancelling the negative sign of the exponent.

6. Jan 5, 2012 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

based on x(t)=0 for t<0, it should just be the integral of zero

7. Jan 5, 2012 #6
    You have defined [itex]u(t)=0[/itex] when [itex]t<0[/itex] and [itex]x(t)=e^{-100t}\cdot u(t).[/itex]

8. Jan 5, 2012 #7
    Yes, but I'm not evaluating the integral of x(t), I'm evaluating the integral of X(ω), which is different from x(t). Sorry if the notation is confusing, I used the variables given in the problem.

9. Jan 5, 2012 #8
    Did you forget x(t) from the integrand?

10. Jan 5, 2012 #9
    Wow I'm a dumbass, somehow I had x(t)=1 when t **< 0. Thanks everyone.

11. Jan 5, 2012 #10
    No problem. I suspect that we have all made these kinds of mistakes, it often happens to me when the problem statement is complicated. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook