Please help me, I do not understand this sentence in vector mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equation 1.100 with complex numbers, stating that while the mathematics may be valid, it does not make sense in the given context where only real values are meaningful. More context would have provided a better understanding of the situation being described.
physicophysiology
What is the meaning.png

Would you explain this sentence in detail?

Attachments

• What is the meaning.png
    What is the meaning.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 788
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
More context would have been interesting.

While you could use equation 1.100 with complex numbers (the mathematics is fine) it doesn’t make sense in the context that we don’t see - only real values are meaningful.

physicophysiology said:
View attachment 228726
Would you explain this sentence in detail?

You must provide more detail about the context of the passage you quoted. What situation is "the geometric situation being described"?

mfb said:
More context would have been interesting.

While you could use equation 1.100 with complex numbers (the mathematics is fine) it doesn’t make sense in the context that we don’t see - only real values are meaningful.
Thank you I understood it

1. What is vector mathematics?

Vector mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication on vectors in order to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector because it has both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar because it only has magnitude.

3. How is vector addition different from scalar addition?

Vector addition involves adding both the magnitude and direction of two or more vectors, while scalar addition only involves adding their magnitudes. Vector addition can also be visualized using the "head-to-tail" method, where the tail of one vector is placed at the head of the other vector, and the resulting vector connects the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector.

4. What is the significance of the dot product in vector mathematics?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar. It is used to calculate the angle between two vectors, as well as to determine if two vectors are perpendicular or parallel. It also has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating work and power.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector mathematics?

To improve your understanding of vector mathematics, it is important to practice solving problems and to familiarize yourself with the different properties and operations of vectors. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to clarify any confusion or ask for further explanation on specific concepts.