1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me in Evaluating limit of a function sinx^0/x

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Limit sinx^0/x = ?
    x-> 0

2. Relevant equations

i think this might be useful in evaluating that limit x-> 0 sinx/x = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

Sorry couldn't figure out how to use the sinx/x limit here,as i tried to use allied angles but couldn't get off that x^0...also i want to know,as power 0 is always = 1,can we directly write 1 instead of x^0? i wrote that but couldn't figure out what to do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm confused. Are you trying to evaluate ##\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin(x^0)}x ## or ## \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin(x)}x##?

If you're trying to evaluate the latter limit, the first limit would not be helpful and is actually a different limit.

4. Aug 2, 2013 #3
    sir I said that I didn't quite get the idea how to use the fundamental radian limit theorem sinx/x as x approaches 0...the LIMIT which I actually want to evaluate is the former one that you stated

5. Aug 2, 2013 #4
    You stated you know that x^0 is 1 (For any number x! it is always 1). So now you can write [sin(1)]/x and simply evaluate the limit. What happens when a number in the denominator gets very small as in this limit?

6. Aug 2, 2013 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Remember to check limits from BOTH sides in this case since really what you want is :

##sin(1) lim_{x→0} \frac{1}{x}##

7. Aug 2, 2013 #6

Mark44

00 is an indeterminate form.
    The one sided limit ##\lim_{x \to 0^+}x^0 = 1##, but you run into problems on the left-sided limit. (See the section titled "The form 00" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminate_form.

8. Aug 3, 2013 #7
    I think that OP meant x degrees (x°) but clarification is required. If it is x degrees, it is easy to evaluate.

9. Aug 3, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Not easier than the regular limit of sin(x)/x, I think. And it does not fit to the explanations in the first post.

We can. For the limit, you only care about x-values close to, but not at the limit (here: 0). Therefore, you don't have to care about 00.

10. Aug 3, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The limit [itex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/itex] is only valid for x in radians so if kashan123999's "[itex]x^o[/itex]" really does mean that x is measured in degees, then we need to convert to radians. [itex]\pi[/itex] radians correspond to 180 degrees so "x" degrees is the same as [itex]x\pi/180[/itex] radians. That is [itex]sin(x^o)[/itex] would be equivalent to [itex]sin(x\pi/180)[/itex]. Now, the "x" outside the trig function is a number, not a measurement so is not in "radians" or "degrees". We have, so far, [itex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{sin(x\pi/180)}{x}[/itex].

Now, multiply and divide by [itex]\pi/180[/itex] to change the limit to [itex]\frac{\pi}{180}\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{sin(x\pi/180)}{x\pi/180}[/itex].

Finally, to get back to a form we know, let [itex]y= x\pi/180[/itex]. Of course, as x goes to 0, so does y so we now have
    [tex]\frac{\pi}{180}\lim_{y\to 0}\frac{sin(y)}{y}[/tex]

11. Aug 3, 2013 #10

lurflurf

Homework Helper

We can work without regard to angle measure system to find
    $$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=\frac{\pi}{\arccos(-1)}$$
    Wolfram alpha humorously gives
    $$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x^{\circ})}{x}=\, ^{\circ}$$
    and
    $$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x^{\circ})}{x ^{\circ}}=\frac{ ^{\circ}}{^{\circ}}=1$$
    because it defined the constant
    $$^{\circ}=\frac{\pi}{180}$$
    and for a constant c (not zero in the second limit)
    $$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(c \, x)}{x}=\, c$$
    and
    $$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(c \, x)}{c \, x }=1$$

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted