Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with Gaussian Distribution and central limit theorem in matlab

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    please help me with Gaussian Distribution and central limit theorem in matlab!!

:cry:I am trying to generate a random variable with a approximate gaussian distribution using the rand function and central limit theorem, got stuck when trying it. Please help me. Also wanna know how to produce a graph showing the distribution of the values the
    program generates and the graph of a Gaussian distribution.
    If a signal has a Gaussian amplitude distribution, what is the distribution of the instantaneous power? Graph the power distribution generated using the Central Limit Theorem.

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry::confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2
    Re: please help me with Gaussian Distribution and central limit theorem in matlab!!

Dear please provide the code you have developed till now so I can see what changes you should make or what you should add...

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    Re: please help me with Gaussian Distribution and central limit theorem in matlab!!

How can we know where you are stuck?

By simply guessing, maybe you are having problems with rand, that's a uniform distribution, try randn which will give you Gaussian with mean 0 and sd 1. You can element-wise multiply to adjust the parameters, eg 5 + 2.*randn(6,6) will give you a 6x6 matrix of Gaussian random numbers, each with mean 5 and standard deviation 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?