Self-Study Math Guide: Achieving Goals in Physics and Pure Mathematics

• Thread starter MrMarvel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Goals
In summary, the person is seeking advice on self-teaching math in order to pursue a career in Physics or Pure Mathematics. They are looking for a list of areas to study and in what order, as well as an equation or problem to work on in each section to monitor their progress. They have tried searching online but have not had much success. They mention starting from scratch with Algebra and ask if there are any equations or problems that they would not be able to solve without a solid understanding of the corresponding area of mathematics. The responder suggests using a good textbook such as the ones by Gelfand or Lang, and mentions a book by Euler that is freely available online but has a strange and old writing style.
MrMarvel
Hello,

I've endeavored to self-teach math so I can eventually go on to study Physics or Pure Mathematics.

I was hoping someone may be able to give me a list of areas I should study and in what order and an equation or problem to work out throughout each section so I can monitor my progress and ability in said field.

I've tried to Google the lists and equations for that sort of thing but I've either fallen short or read a variety of differing opinions.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your current level in mathematics??

MrMarvel said:
an equation or problem to work out throughout each section so I can monitor my progress and ability in said field.

No idea what you mean with this.

I'm starting from scratch with Algebra.

As for what did I mean by the equations or problems - Aren't there any equations or problems I wouldn't be able to figure out unless I had a solid understanding of the corresponding area of mathematics?

MrMarvel said:
Aren't there any equations or problems I wouldn't be able to figure out unless I had a solid understanding of the corresponding area of mathematics?

For sure, but if you get a good textbook, then this will already contain many such problems.

Did you ever do algebra before in HS?? If you didn't, then I recommend the books by Gelfand. This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817636773/?tag=pfamazon01-20 is a very good and basic introduction to algebra.

If you already know some algebra from HS (but somehow want to start over again or forgot everything), then you might want to go for Lang: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387967877/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another book that I've heard good things about is Euler. I have never looked into it though. It is freely available: http://archive.org/details/elementsofalgebr00euleuoft Some people call the book "outdated" though. Not because the contents isn't good, but because the writing style is strange and old. If you don't mind that, then Euler is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

I commend your motivation and determination to self-teach math in order to pursue your interests in Physics and Pure Mathematics. Self-study can be a challenging but rewarding process, and I'm happy to provide some guidance on how to structure your learning.

Firstly, it's important to have a solid foundation in algebra and basic geometry before moving on to more advanced topics. This will help you understand and solve more complex problems in the future. I would recommend starting with topics such as equations, functions, and graphing, and then moving on to geometry and trigonometry.

Once you have a strong grasp on these fundamentals, you can start delving into more specific areas of math that are relevant to Physics and Pure Mathematics. These may include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex numbers. It's important to have a good understanding of these topics as they are the building blocks for advanced concepts in Physics and Pure Mathematics.

In terms of the order in which to study these topics, it ultimately depends on your personal learning style and goals. However, a common sequence is to start with calculus, followed by linear algebra, and then differential equations. Complex numbers can be studied concurrently with these topics.

As for monitoring your progress, I would recommend working through practice problems and exercises in each topic and periodically taking practice tests to assess your understanding. Additionally, seeking out online resources or joining study groups can also be helpful in clarifying any areas you may be struggling with.

In terms of specific equations or problems to work on, I would suggest focusing on those that are commonly used in Physics and Pure Mathematics, such as the laws of motion, Newton's laws, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. These can be found in textbooks or online resources.

Overall, self-study can be a challenging but rewarding journey. It's important to stay motivated and dedicated, and to seek out resources and support when needed. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What are goals and why are they important?

Goals are targets or objectives that an individual sets for themselves to achieve. They are important because they provide a sense of direction and purpose, help to organize and prioritize tasks, and motivate individuals to work towards something meaningful.

2. How do I set achievable goals?

To set achievable goals, it is important to make them specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART). This means defining exactly what you want to achieve, setting realistic timelines and milestones, and regularly tracking your progress.

3. What should I do if I am struggling to achieve my goals?

If you are struggling to achieve your goals, it is important to reassess and adjust them as needed. This could mean breaking down larger goals into smaller, more manageable ones, seeking support and guidance from others, or identifying and addressing any potential barriers or obstacles.

4. How do I stay motivated to reach my goals?

Staying motivated to reach your goals can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. These include visualizing the end result, celebrating small successes along the way, and surrounding yourself with positive and supportive people.

5. Is it okay to change my goals?

Yes, it is okay to change your goals if they are no longer relevant or attainable. It is important to regularly review and adapt your goals as needed, as circumstances and priorities may change over time. The most important thing is to have a clear direction and purpose that aligns with your personal values and aspirations.