1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this basic thermpdynamics problem!

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    A thermoelectric generator consists of a series of semiconductor elements heated on one side and cooled on the other. Electric current flow is produced as a result of energy transfer as hear. In a particular Experiment the current was measured to be .5A and the electrostatic potential difference was .8V. Energy transfer as heat to the hot side of the generator was taking place at a rate of 5.5W. Determine the rate of energy transfer as hear from the cold side and the energy conversion efficiency.

Now I thought I could just say that the current is carrying a power out of the cold side of the semiconductor.

So I thought that I could find Qc but just applying the power equation.

Qc = IV = (.5A)(.8V) = .4 W

But this is not the right answer. Could someone help me through this? The answer should be Qc = 5.1W
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted