Thermoelectric Generator Experiment

In summary, the individual is trying to turn a thermoelectric peltier cooler into a weak thermoelectric generator. They have built a basic series circuit and labeled the cool and hot sides. They are unsure if they should heat the hot side and cool the cold side or vice versa in order to produce an electric current. They have received advice that as long as they maintain a temperature difference within specifications, they should be able to experiment without damaging the element. It doesn't matter which side they heat or cool, as the current direction can be reversed. They have successfully generated a small amount of electricity and are grateful for the input they received.
SirBerr
Hi,

I am trying to turn a thermoelectric peltier cooler I recently bought into a weak thermoelectric generator. (I bought this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UQQ3Q2/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ) .

I built a basic series circuit with 2 3V batteries and a 1 Ω resistor and this so I could determine which side was the cool side and which side was the hot side and labeled them accordingly.

Now, I don't want to ruin the the piece but would like to convert it into a weak electrical generator by. To do this, I understand I have to create a temperature differential across the device, my question is, am I supposed to heat the hot side and cool the cold side, or am I supposed to heat cool side and cool what is the hot side in order to produce an electric current.

If I had to guess, I would heat the hot side and cool the cold side. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are in a good position to experiment.
If you keep your temperature difference within specification you will not damage the element.

As far as I know, the emf generated depends on the temperature difference and not the absolute temperatures. So you can either heat one junction or cool the other.

And it doesn't matter which side you heat or cool. Changing the hot and cold juntions only reverses the direction of the current.

It did work, got a small engine to spin, in both directions with opposite polarity. Thanks for everyone's input.

Hello,

It sounds like you are on the right track with your experiment. In order to create a temperature differential across the thermoelectric peltier cooler, you will need to heat one side and cool the other. Typically, the hot side is heated using a heat source such as a flame or hot plate, while the cold side is cooled using a cooling element such as ice or a fan. This temperature difference creates a flow of electrons, generating electricity.

However, it is important to note that thermoelectric generators are not very efficient and may only produce a small amount of electricity. Also, make sure to use caution when heating and cooling the device to avoid damaging it. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is a thermoelectric generator?

A thermoelectric generator (TEG) is a device that converts heat energy into electrical energy through the phenomenon of thermoelectricity. It utilizes the Seebeck effect, which is the conversion of temperature differences into electric voltage.

2. How does a thermoelectric generator work?

A TEG consists of two dissimilar materials, typically semiconductors, joined together at two junctions. When one junction is heated and the other is cooled, a temperature difference is created, causing electrons to flow from the hot side to the cold side, generating a voltage.

3. What are the applications of thermoelectric generators?

TEGs have a variety of applications, including power generation in space probes, waste heat recovery in industrial processes, and portable power generation for camping or remote locations. They can also be used for cooling applications, such as in refrigerators and air conditioners.

4. What materials are commonly used in thermoelectric generators?

The most commonly used materials for TEGs are bismuth telluride, lead telluride, and silicon germanium. These materials have a high thermoelectric efficiency, which is a measure of how well they can convert heat into electricity.

5. What are the advantages of using a thermoelectric generator?

TEGs have several advantages, including being environmentally friendly, as they do not produce any emissions or use any moving parts. They are also reliable and have a long lifespan, making them ideal for remote or inaccessible locations. TEGs are also compact and can be easily integrated into existing systems.