1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please let me know if I did anything wrong on this thermo problem

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1
    I have a homework problem that I completed but I am not sure if it is correct. I was wondering if you guys could let me know if my thought process is correct of if I need to modify my solution. The problem is:

An adiabatic and rigid open vessel contains 4 kg of air at 300 K and has a volume of 1m^3. Air at 450 K and 400 kPa is entering the vessel at a rate of 0.10 kg/s. Assume the air is calorimetrically perfect ideal gas (CPIG) with constant specific heat ratio (k) of 1.40. What is the instantaneous rate of extensive energy increase in the vessel?

I started off by completing a foundational energy balance of

[itex]\frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{dU}{dt}+\frac{dKE}{dt}+\frac{dPE}{dt}=\frac{dU}{dt}=\dot{m}_{in}T_{in}[/itex]

Since this is a CPIG, its enthalpy can be simplified to [itex]h_{in}in=c_{p}T_{in}[/itex] and the constant pressure specific heat can be simplified to [itex]c_{p}=\frac{kR}{k-1}[/itex]. By using all this, I get a final expression of

[itex]\frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{dU}{dt}=\frac{\dot{m}kRT_{in}}{k-1}[/itex]

where Tin is the temperature of the incoming air.

For some reason I felt like I left some stuff out of the problem. For instance, I wasn't sure if I needed to use the pressure of the incoming air, the mass of the air in the control volume, or the volume of the control volume. Please let me know If I completed this problem correctly or steer me in the right direction. Thank you

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted