PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME I have a few questions that i dont know how to anser

• Thread starter kinarere
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the asker seeking help with six questions they do not know how to answer. The questions discuss topics such as ice volume and displacement, thermal energy change, temperature changes due to work and heat, and the contraction of different substances at different temperatures.
kinarere
PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME! I have a few questions that i don't know how to anser!

I have six questions here that I have no idea how to anser. If anybody can help me and explain them to me, I'd really really really appreciate it. Thanks alot

When ice floasts in water, a small part of it extends above the surface. Interestingly enough, the volume of ice that extends above the surface is equal to the volume of the...
a. vast number of open spaces in the hexagonal ice crystals
b. water the ice displaces
c. both of these
d. neither of these

2.When 100 J of heat is added to a system that performs 60 J of work, the thermal energy change of the system is...
a. 0j
b. 100j
c. 60j
d. 40j
e none of these

3. When work is done by a system and no heat added to it, the temperautre of the system...
a.increases
b. decreases
c. remains unchanged

4. A container of air is at atmospheric pressure and 27 degrees c. to double the pressure in the container, it should be heated to...

5. A piece of iron and a cup of waterboth have the same temperature. if they are heated so the thermal energy of each doubles,...
a.the water will have the higher temp.
b. the iron will have the higher temp
c. both will have the same temp.
d. not enough information

6. Which of the following contracts most when the temp. is decreases? equal volumes of
a. iron
b. wood
c. helium
d. water
e. none of the above

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you: forum rules.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your questions. I am happy to assist you in understanding these concepts.

1. When ice floats in water, a small part of it extends above the surface. This is because ice is less dense than water. The volume of ice that extends above the surface is equal to the volume of water that the ice displaces. This is known as Archimedes' principle.

2. The thermal energy change of the system is equal to the amount of heat added minus the work done by the system. In this case, the thermal energy change would be 40 J (100 J - 60 J).

3. When work is done by a system and no heat is added to it, the temperature of the system remains unchanged. This is because work and heat are both forms of energy, and if one is increasing, the other must be decreasing to maintain the same overall energy of the system.

4. To double the pressure in the container, it should be heated to approximately 54 degrees Celsius. This can be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law, which states that pressure and temperature are directly proportional.

5. If the thermal energy of both the iron and water doubles, then they will both have the same temperature. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles, and doubling the thermal energy of both substances will result in the same increase in average kinetic energy.

6. Water contracts the most when the temperature is decreased. This is because water has a unique property where it expands when it freezes. This means that as the temperature decreases, the water molecules move closer together, causing the volume to decrease. This phenomenon is also why ice floats on water.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep curious and keep asking questions!

1. What is the best way to approach a difficult question?

The best way to approach a difficult question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying what exactly the question is asking and then gather as much information as possible to help you formulate an answer. If you are still stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help or consult reliable sources.

2. How can I improve my critical thinking skills?

Improving critical thinking skills takes practice and effort. One way to improve is by actively seeking out new information and being open to different perspectives. You can also try solving puzzles and problems, as well as engaging in discussions and debates with others.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct?

There are a few ways to determine if your answer is correct. One way is to double-check your work and make sure all of your steps are correct. Another way is to compare your answer to other reliable sources or consult with a peer or mentor.

4. How can I stay focused when researching and answering questions?

Staying focused when researching and answering questions can be challenging. One tip is to set a specific goal or objective for each research session and stick to it. Break up your research and answering into smaller chunks to avoid burnout. Also, try to eliminate distractions and create a comfortable workspace.

5. What should I do if I don't know how to answer a question?

If you don't know how to answer a question, it's okay to admit that and ask for help. Consult with a peer, mentor, or reliable source for guidance. You can also try breaking the question down into smaller parts or looking for similar examples to help guide your answer.