Pleurococcus Density vs Direction and Light Lab suggestions

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking advice on the best way to compare data for a biology lab on tree algea, pleurococcus. The data includes the density of the algea on trees and the amount of light received from different directions (N,S,E,W). The person suggests graphing the average light and density for each direction, but is open to other suggestions and asks about the possibility of conducting a T-Test. They also thank the group for their input and ask for more information about the project.
loz123
Hi,
I am working on a biology lab regarding the tree algea, pleurococcus and how its density on trees is affected by direction (N,S,E,W) and light received from each direction.

Here is a screenshot of the data I have access to:
http://tinypic.com/r/jugxa1/6

My question is: what would you guys think would be the best way to compare the data? I was thinking. Graph the average light received from each direction and graph the average density received from each direction. While that seems to show a bit of a relationship (e.g. on average south gets the second highest light and highest pleur. density). But I was wondering if you guys think there would be a better way to do this? And would a T-Test be a good thing to perform, if so, which two sets of data would I be testing?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
can you tell us more about your project

1. What is Pleurococcus density and why is it important?

Pleurococcus density refers to the number of Pleurococcus, a type of green algae, present in a given area. It is important to study this factor in order to understand the growth and distribution patterns of this species, which can have significant impacts on the environment.

2. How does direction affect Pleurococcus density?

The direction of light can greatly influence the growth and distribution of Pleurococcus. For example, if the light is coming from one direction, the algae may grow more densely on that side, while the other side may have a lower density due to shading.

3. Can you suggest a lab experiment to study Pleurococcus density in relation to direction and light?

A simple lab experiment could involve setting up two containers, one with a light source coming from the top and one with a light source coming from the side. Both containers should contain water and Pleurococcus, and the densities can be measured and compared over time.

4. How can I accurately measure Pleurococcus density in a lab setting?

To measure Pleurococcus density, a hemocytometer or a counting chamber can be used. These devices have grids that allow for accurate counting of algae cells. Another option is to use a spectrophotometer to measure the absorbance of the algae, which can be correlated to the cell density.

5. What are the potential implications of studying Pleurococcus density in relation to direction and light?

Understanding the relationship between Pleurococcus density and direction and light can provide valuable insights into the ecological dynamics of this species. It can also aid in predicting and managing algae blooms, which can have negative impacts on aquatic ecosystems and human activities such as fishing and recreation.