Plot of Ginzburg-Landau parameters

In summary, the conversation discussed a plot showing the Ginzburg-Landau parameters of different superconductors, with the x-axis representing the GL parameter and the y-axis representing magnetization or field. The person was looking for this figure to use in a presentation and requested help finding it. The plot in question had multiple points representing different superconductors and also showed the transition between type I and type II superconductors.
wmr619
A while back, I saw a plot that compared the Ginzburg-Landau parameters of different superconductors. The x-axis was the GL parameter and the y-axis was magnetization or field or something of that nature. I would like to find this figure again to use in a presentation. Can anybody point me to this figure or a similar one. I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. This plot had many points on it, each one representing the GL parameter for a different superconductor (Nb, NbN, Nb3Sn). The x-axis represents the GL parameter (kappa). The plot you gave has magnetic field on the x axis.

There was also a line that showed the transition between type I and type II superconductors (i.e. kappa = 1/sqrt(2)) on the x axis.

Last edited:

1. What is the Ginzburg-Landau theory?

The Ginzburg-Landau theory is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of materials near a phase transition, such as the transition from a liquid to a solid. It was developed by Russian physicists Lev Landau and Vitaly Ginzburg in the 1950s.

2. What are the Ginzburg-Landau parameters?

The Ginzburg-Landau parameters are two key values in the Ginzburg-Landau theory that describe the strength of the interactions between particles in a material. These parameters, known as the Ginzburg-Landau free energy and the coherence length, are used to calculate the critical temperature at which a phase transition occurs.

3. How are the Ginzburg-Landau parameters used in materials science?

The Ginzburg-Landau parameters are used to study the properties of superconductors, ferromagnets, and other materials that undergo phase transitions. They can also be used to predict the behavior of these materials at different temperatures and external conditions.

4. What is the significance of the Ginzburg-Landau parameters in condensed matter physics?

The Ginzburg-Landau parameters play a crucial role in the study of condensed matter physics. They help scientists understand how materials behave at a microscopic level and how they undergo phase transitions. This knowledge can be applied to the development of new materials and technologies.

5. How are the Ginzburg-Landau parameters determined experimentally?

The Ginzburg-Landau parameters are typically determined experimentally by measuring the physical properties of a material at different temperatures and using the data to fit the Ginzburg-Landau theory. These experiments can involve techniques such as magnetic susceptibility measurements, neutron scattering, and electrical resistivity measurements.