Plots over Z in mathematica and maple

In summary, there are various ways to plot the values of an integer defined function in Mathematica. One simple method is to create a table of the values and use ListPlot to display them. This can be achieved by defining the function and using Range to create a list of inputs, which are then mapped to the function and plotted using ListPlot.
axeae
im sort of new to using maple and mathematica for number theoretical functions, is there any way I can plot the values of an integer defined function in either of these programs? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are probably numerous ways to do this in Mathematica (not familiar with Maple). The simplest I can think of right now is: make a table of the values you want and use ListPlot to display them.

For example

F[n_]:=n!
ListPlot[F/@Range[1,5]]

The first line defines your function (I suppose you already have that). In the second line, Range creates a list {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and then maps each element to the function. The result is a list {F[1], F[2], ..., F[5]} which is then sent to ListPlot for display.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
thats perfect, thanks a lot

What is a "Plot over Z" in Mathematica and Maple?

A "Plot over Z" refers to a plot of a function or expression over the integers, denoted by Z. This means that the x-axis of the plot represents integer values, rather than continuous values.

How can I create a "Plot over Z" in Mathematica and Maple?

To create a "Plot over Z" in Mathematica, you can use the ListPlot function and specify the list of integer values as the x-values and the corresponding function or expression values as the y-values. In Maple, you can use the plot command and specify the range of integer values for the x-axis and the function or expression to be plotted.

What are the advantages of using a "Plot over Z" in Mathematica and Maple?

One advantage of using a "Plot over Z" in Mathematica and Maple is that it allows you to visualize and analyze functions or expressions that have integer inputs and outputs. This is particularly useful in number theory and discrete mathematics. Additionally, "Plots over Z" can also help in identifying patterns and making conjectures about the behavior of a function or expression over the integers.

Can I customize the appearance of a "Plot over Z" in Mathematica and Maple?

Yes, both Mathematica and Maple offer various options for customizing the appearance of a "Plot over Z". You can change the color, style, and thickness of the plot lines, add labels and titles, and adjust the axes and ticks. Additionally, you can also use different types of plots, such as scatter plots or bar graphs, to represent the data.

Are there any limitations to using a "Plot over Z" in Mathematica and Maple?

One limitation of using a "Plot over Z" in Mathematica and Maple is that it may not be suitable for visualizing functions or expressions with non-integer inputs or outputs. In such cases, it may be more appropriate to use a traditional plot with a continuous x-axis. Additionally, "Plots over Z" may not accurately represent the behavior of a function or expression over non-integer values, as it only considers integer inputs and outputs.