Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting a Difference wave in Excel

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    I have plotted two approximately sinusoidal waves in one Excel graph. Both waves are voltage, on the y-axis, against time the x-axis. Though both waves are not identical, being out of sync a little.

The first wave has quite a lot more readings which make it than the second wave.

If I want to produce another Excel graph depicting a wave of the difference in these two, how would I do that?

Thanks for any advice!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have a graph of v(t) vs t and i(t) vs t?

To be meaningful, you need to take the difference between terms with equal time-stamps.
    This will usually mean doing some interpolation - though, if the two graphs share a lot of the same times, you may get away with just plotting the differences of the times they have in common.

iirc excell has interpolation functions - so it is probably easiest to just standardize the two data-sets and subtract them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook