Plotting Implicit function of 1 variable

joshmccraney
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi PF!

I am trying to plot a difficult implicit function, but for ease let's pretend that function is ##y^5\sqrt{1-x}+yx+1 = 0##. I want to plot ##Re(y)## as a function of ##x:x\in[0,2]##. I am using MATLAB. Do you think the best way to plot this is to assign ##x## a value in the domain, use Newton's method to find the zeros, record the found zeros, and reiterate?

Or do you recommend some software package? I made a post similar to this in Mathematica but no solution is available, so I've switched to MATLAB.

Answers and Replies

andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi PF!

I am trying to plot a difficult implicit function, but for ease let's pretend that function is ##y^5\sqrt{1-x}+yx+1 = 0##. I want to plot ##Re(y)## as a function of ##x:x\in[0,2]##. I am using MATLAB. Do you think the best way to plot this is to assign ##x## a value in the domain, use Newton's method to find the zeros, record the found zeros, and reiterate?

Or do you recommend some software package? I made a post similar to this in Mathematica but no solution is available, so I've switched to MATLAB.
I'd be surprised if Mathematica can't do it, since Wolfram Alpha is a cut-down version of Mathematica, and that can do it:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+y^5*sqrt(1-x)++x*y+++1+=+0